Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

S Works Epic 2011 Thread

I thought we should have a thread dedicated to the 2011 S Works Epics, following the success of the 2010 S Works Stumpjumper thread. Please upload your pictures of your bikes and we can also add reviews of the bikes. The thread should include 26 and 29ers in all colours, stock or custom. I have only completed a short ride on the bike which replaces my S Works 2010 Stumpjumper FSR but all I can say is why so far is WOW. The attached are pictures of my bike which is part custom and has Fox Terralogic 120mm Fork amongst other things. If available I would have probably chosen the Flow yellow colour but this was my close second choice and I have worked out that it comes in at about 20.5lbs, but I will confirm the exact weight and specs later. The pictures are from an IPhone so not the best
    S Works Epic 2011 Thread-epic-1.jpg
    S Works Epic 2011 Thread-epic-2.jpg
    S Works Epic 2011 Thread-epic-3.jpg
    S Works Epic 2011 Thread-epic-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Amazing bike, hopefully i'll end up with a s-works epic. Right now I just can't bring myself to spend the cash without test riding one.

How do you feel the terralogic works with rear suspension? In a review it was said to work well with a hardtail but not FS

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    Amazing bike, hopefully i'll end up with a s-works epic. Right now I just can't bring myself to spend the cash without test riding one.

How do you feel the terralogic works with rear suspension? In a review it was said to work well with a hardtail but not FS
    Where you from? Most mid to larger sized specialized dealers should have a test ride program. The shop I work at always has at least on 26" and 29" model available. They may not be the S-Works, but you can take them out on the trail and get a good udnerstanding of the geometry, handling, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBoy
    Where you from? Most mid to larger sized specialized dealers should have a test ride program. The shop I work at always has at least on 26" and 29" model available. They may not be the S-Works, but you can take them out on the trail and get a good udnerstanding of the geometry, handling, etc.
    NY, plenty of test centers locally. Two problems though none have a 26" epic to test and currently with 18 inches of snow on the ground the trails are buried.
    One shop(offering me the best price) told me the last day for orders before the price increase is tomorrow Monday 31st. If I'm getting one i'd like to save the 4 or 500 dollars and order tomorrow.
    If I was a racer it'd be no question to go with the s-works over the elite but i just ride 3-4 times a week in nice weather.

Sorry for taking this off topic right away

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The fork works perfectly with the epic as it matches the brain on the back, just like the stock bike with the E100 brained fork. The review I read said it's great with a brained type rear suspension or a hardtail and it does. The size of hit required to open up the shock isn't as great as on the E100 but still gives you a solid peddling platform and no brake dive, but decent small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    INtrested how your bike is so light? Are they carbon wheels? My xl with full xx plus thompson stem and xtr pedals is 23.4lbs, I am mising a trick here whats the spec????

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Intrested how your bike is so light? Are they carbon wheels? My xl with full xx plus thompson stem and xtr pedals is 23.4lbs, I am missing a trick here whats the spec????

gone for a bike ride
    wahey! you did it - terrific bike Pete N

hows the XTR DMD FD working out with those trick SRAM XX chainrings?

have fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wookster
    I have just worked out that it comes in at 20.7lbs but that is without pedals that are 196g.
    The XL frame will probably be 80-100g heavier plus a full length steerer on the forks.
    The best way to lose the weight was through tyres and tubes. 110g on tubes if you get Conti supersonic and the Rocket Ron evo Tyres are alot lighter than the standard, probably 250g for the pair. Your XTR pedals are great but not that light. The Thomson stem is heavier than the Syntace F109 and there are other easy ways to lose weight here and there. Grips, chainstay protector etc.

Culturesponge
    Thanks, I pulled the trigger, a bit spur of the moment but no regrets. Took your advice on the terralogics and after a test ride, it was a good choice. Heavier than the SID world cups but match the rear brain nicely. XTR/XX combo seems fine, but doing a longer ride in the morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N
    The fork works perfectly with the epic as it matches the brain on the back, just like the stock bike with the E100 brained fork. The review I read said it's great with a brained type rear suspension or a hardtail and it does. The size of hit required to open up the shock isn't as great as on the E100 but still gives you a solid peddling platform and no brake dive, but decent small bump compliance.
    The bike looks nice. It's quite a change colour wise from your last few Stumpjumper FSRs which were stealth black.

Can you tell the difference between the 2011 Fox Terralogic fork and your previous Specialized Futureshock brain forks when riding, or are they almost the same?

Did you go with a 1.5" tapered steerer for the fork? I noticed that the fork is a standard quick release one instead of being QR15.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Cool thanks fella, stunning bike isn't it!?! I'll get some pics of mine up asap!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice bike. How did the 120mm fork change geometry? Do you have any comparisons, still feeling like a race bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It is indeed quite a change from the understated Stumpy, which I personally found a bit too dark. I really like this colour, very bling and on two rides I've had more comments about it than a year on the Stumpy, not sure if that's a good thing but it's more stand out that's for sure. The Fox Terralogic has similarities to the brained forks but is different. It is much more reactive to small bumps and the feeling of the fork becoming active is noticeably less than the Specialized ones, very hard to detect even at very low speeds. I ran it 3 from full firm today and suffered no dive or bobbing out of the saddle. The adjuster seems to alter the force needed to overcome the firm platform, which is less the Specialized's versions anyway. The Specialized adjuster allowed a bit more travel prior to platform, so this is different, in my experience anyway. The other noticeable thing is that the fork sags, which my Specialized ones struggled with when a firm brain setting and this also helps it track trail better. The tapered carbon steerer and carbon crown of the Specialized is a great feature and the Fox lacks this, though on my ride today this wasn't really noticeable. I wasn't even going to choose this fork until Culturesponge thought I should have a look, I am glad he did, I love it. Where Specialized moved the bar after the original terralogics I think Fox have moved it again, although the Specialized forks are still bloody good.
    The geometry with 120mm is great and the bike feels very nimble but surefooted downhill. I have ridden Epics with 100mm forks and I prefer it with 120mm. I have a wider bar and it is like a very fast trail bike, no good for the Alps but for the southern UK it's perfect. Remember though that I have just come from a 140mm stumpy front and back, so my comparison is more to this. I have always thought 140mm front and rear is too much for the UK and this has proved me right. The favourite bike I've ever owned although it us early days.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the comment Pete. I am currently looking for a Fox F120 Fit for my Epic. I even find it great for the Alps and take it to the Garda lake every year with lots of fun, though a Stumpy or Enduro might be the better choice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N
    The tapered carbon steerer and carbon crown of the Specialized is a great feature and the Fox lacks this, though on my ride today this wasn't really noticeable. I wasn't even going to choose this fork until Culturesponge thought I should have a look, I am glad he did, I love it. Where Specialized moved the bar after the original terralogics I think Fox have moved it again, although the Specialized forks are still bloody good.
    Were you unable to use the 1.5" tapered steerer version of the 2011 Fox Terralogic fork with the Epic frame?

Did you get a service manual for the Terralogic fork when you bought it? The recommended service intervals on 2011 Fox forks are quite short.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    Were you unable to use the 1.5" tapered steerer version of the 2011 Fox Terralogic fork with the Epic frame?
    I think what he meant by that is it's not carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    I think what he meant by that is it's not carbon
    You can get the 2011 Fox Terralogic fork with the option of either a 1.5" tapered steerer or a standard 1 1/8" steerer. I was wondering whether Pete N had gone with the stiffer tapered steerer option or not.

Looking at the Fox website I think I've answered my own question though. It looks like you can only have the 1.5" tapered steerer with the QR15 thru axle version of the fork. If you choose the standard fork dropouts (as featured on Pete N's Epic with its Roval Control SL wheels) then you may only be able to get a standard 1 1/8" steerer for the fork.

Pictured below: 2011 Fox Terralogic product page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S Works Epic 2011 Thread-2011fox_terralogic_options.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You got it. The weight weenie in me couldn't bring myself to get the 80g heavier tapered fork with a 15mm thru axle, and then the extra weight of the axle and heavier hub to go with it. I decided to buy myself the Controle SL wheels that are nice and light, and stick with the QR. The bearings that come with the bike give you the option for a straight steerer and makes the lower race a bit wider on the outside edge. I get some of the benefit of the tapered head tube but not all of it. The front end still feels very stiff, so this was the right choice for me. Now we need to see some more bike pictures on the thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    bump - how's the XTR DMD FD working out with those trick SRAM XX chainrings?

gone for a bike ride
    i'm going to assume it shifts effortlessly & possibly better in sticky mud than an XX DM FD

used a similar triple XTR DMD mounted FD myself with a double chainring without any probs - just had to set the limiter so it only moved between 2 rings - after i'd replaced the XTR with an S1 DM XX i didn't really notice any significant difference in shifting performance

...i want to see better pics of Pete N's bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    what ring sizes were u running? U may have seen this posted on another thread by "surlyboy":

"i used a 9sp xtr front der for a while, but the problem was with the 26-39 chainrings I could not get the der low enough, the bottom of the cage hit the top of the chainstay on my air 9. I put a xx front der on there after a few months and the shifting improved quite a bit, it was not bad with the xtr but it got alot better with the correct xx front der."

....thread here: SRAM XX cranks with other FDs and Shifters

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    my bet is you are a bit over 20.5lbs.

this one came out right at 20.5.

My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The front dérailleur shifts effortlessly and is very smooth, although it is new. I am very happy with the front shifting and no issues whatsoever. I am running a 26/39 combo up front.

Whybotherme. Very nice bike, finally another picture on the thread. As stated mine is around 20.7lbs without pedals remember, so they are approaching 1/2lb themselves. My tyres are a bit lighter than yours and my Hope Race XC's are also a bit lighter. I run 18g grips and a 20g front skewer(kcnc). I also lose the chainstay protector and run a lizard skins carbon stick on that weighs 8g, as opposed to the 50g stock issue. I also don't use a bottle cage. 20.5 lbs with pedals is a great achievement, you could get below 20lbs like Boude if you desire to, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Pete N; 02-01-2011 at 04:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, here we go...
    An Epic on the other side of front-suspension possibilities. 80 mm and a 650B wheel bring the front to stock-height. Works wonderful, balance is surprising good.
    Bought a frame and completed it with excisting components.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S Works Epic 2011 Thread-imag0018.jpg  

S Works Epic 2011 Thread-imag0021.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Very nice. A real racers bike, what is the weight roughly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast