mtbr member
    May 2007

S-works Epic 2009 vs. 2010

I understand major differences are '09's XTR vs. '10's SRAM, and that Fox is making the 2010 shocks. Anything else? I ask because I was planning to buy a 2010 in March, but found a new '09 for $5,700. Since I don't get a team discount, this seems like a serious deal.

dog lover-not in that way
    As we've been discussing the carbon on the 2010 front triangle is 11m vs. 10m, but that's the only difference I know of other than what you've mentioned.

I think the suspension system on the 2010 has a 5 year warranty vs. 2 years for the 2009 but I'm not positive about that.

At $5700 it would be very hard to pass up the 09.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think I would pass up the deal on the 09. That is only slightly more then the 2010 Carbon Marathon. Plus you get a better warranty on the rear suspesnsion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The later 2009 shocks were also manufactured by Fox, but they now use a Fox aircan for 2010. 5 year warranty for 2009, 1 year in USA for 2010. The frame will slightly lighter and stiffer for 2010 but you would have to be quite something to notice it.
    The 2009 seems like a great deal at that price and I personally would bite their hand off.

mtbr member
    The reviews I have read say the new Fox shox/Brain are a huge improvement. That said, the '09 was steller and you can save a nice chunch of change so it would be hard not to go for the '09.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My friend had an 09 S Works that was replaced by a 2010 under warranty. He can tell of no noticeable difference between the shocks/brain action.
    He said that the transition from brain firm to compressed is no different, you still feel the brain opening and closing when set near firm.
    That said if it was straight choice between the two for the same money I would probably go for the 2010. In your case it's a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Well, they included the the compression oil flow for Brain activation for '10 and the Fox shock is said to have a more progressive spring/dampening rate compared to '09. I'll have mine built up by the weekend so well see.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Hey man, that's a very good deal! $$$ will trump anything!!!