mtbr member
    May 2005

S-Works Enduro (I'm on the edge)

Just to get some thoughts. I live in So-Cal, I Currently am riding a gary fisher sugar 2. after riding with some friends with Stumpjumper 120's I find myself with suspension envy. I have the cash and am about to take the plunge. I have been impressed with the specialized. Should I be looking at any other bikes. what are some strengths and weaknesses noted by some of the owners. I've read the articles and am just waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger on this purchase. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePrefontaine
    Just to get some thoughts. I live in So-Cal, I Currently am riding a gary fisher sugar 2. after riding with some friends with Stumpjumper 120's I find myself with suspension envy. I have the cash and am about to take the plunge. I have been impressed with the specialized. Should I be looking at any other bikes. what are some strengths and weaknesses noted by some of the owners. I've read the articles and am just waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger on this purchase. Thanks
    Yes you should shop around, but if you went for the Enduro the only potential regret is that its "too much bike." I've been bike shopping/comparing/riding a bit lately and was getting torn between Turner and Specialized. I was going to get the Enduro, but then started thinking I was too good, as in I go so fast to find the limit like I did on my hardtail, and I'll splat, which I fully did on a demo day (it was really due to being a disk brake rookie). I overcame all that, and started considering the 5-Spot, adn then the 6-Pack, and learned something more...rear shock leverage and chamber volume. One veeery attractive thing on the Enduro is the low leverage ratio compared to the Pack. Both with 6" of travel, but the Enduro uses a 2.5" stroke on a 8.75" eye-2-eye shock. The Pack uses 2" stroke on 7.5" e2e shock.

Turner has a design that reduces bobbing, but I didn't see the wheel path being different enough to make it and end all be all decision factor. The Enduro also has the geometry adjustment option which I'm a big fan of.

As for the build, the Enduro has an all forged one piece BB/rear shock mount and head tube. I don't think it makes all that much difference (unless you're doing irrational things). It will however make for incredible stiffness and durability...lifetime warranty aside.
    I guess my vote is clear if you're getting a 6 incher. You should also check out this nearby thread that has the '06 spec'd S-works. Carbon Epic and Stumpy 2006!
    I wanted lots of SRAM so was planning a frame purchase, but it looks like it'll come standard with X.O...nice. I'm waiting to see what the rest of bike is spec'd.

-kcavt

Binge Rider

Shop Around...

I ride an Enduro S-Works '04 with the Brain shock. I built mine from the frame up and customized it I love it and it's the right bike for me. I would recommend the Enduro (S-Works / 04 or the '05 line) to anyone. I specified the year/model because I had a '02 Enduro and the bob on the rear shock was pretty bad. But the new 5th Element has seemed to improve this annoyance. Just remember, the 05 is more cross and less country. It's moved more to a light free ride rig than what the older models were. This is a good thing if you ride that way which I assume you do. And even the 05 Enduro's can be pedaled up the mountain without too much effort though it is heavier than the 04 bikes. They really are two different bikes.

With that said,see how the one you want mesures up to similar bikes. The Santa Cruz Heckler, or the new Nomad would be a worthy competitor. The Blur LT also would be of interest. Giant and their new suspension systems are interesting and Cannondale's Prophet has descent reviews too. Do some research and pick the ride best for you. You can get carried away with pivot systems, hort, four bar, VPP, single pivot etc, but Specialize's system works and is the standard. Many others pay a fee to use it. That's not to say the others aren't as good, obvioulsy they are. If you are limited on cash, you can play around with the price with different componetry. Remember, Light, Quality, & Cheap...pick two of the three. The third gets sacraficed.

Regrdless of what you study, you'll find that the Enduro will still be on top of your list. It's an awsome bike; so are the others too. Then the decision will be if you want a big name brand bike or something else. Good luck and remember half the fun of a new bike is shopping for it!
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

[SIZE="1"]CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME[/SIZE]