Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

S-Works Enduro Carbon vs Dean Ace X Lite

Hi Guys! First time poster but long time lurker. I have been offered awesome deals on both an '07 S-works enduro and an 07-08 Dean Ace. The enduro is a few lbs heavier, but has 10mm more travel front and a little more rear. I have ridden both and am very torn. I am more of a climber, and at 40, don't bounce as well as I used to so I was thinking of more travel. But the Dean is just under 25lbs!! I ride mostly CO front range trails and my idea of big air is a 2' drop, lol!! I like to get to the top as quickly as possible and try to get over all the technical stuff on the way up. I currently have an '06 Stumpy carbon and like the feel and responsiveness, but the bike is too big for me. I need help!!! Thanks

mtbr member
    You mean an Enduro SL, right?
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    You mean an Enduro SL, right?
    Correct

mtbr member
    Well, these are entirely different bikes. The standover of the Dean would keep me from buying it anyway. Does one fit any better than the other? How is the Stumpy too big for you? I have an 07 Stumpy FSR that I love, and I didn't like the upright feeling of the Enduro SL but it does appear to be a nice bike. I prefer to be a bit more stretched out, but not to the extent of the Epic (or the Dean). Also, I like having 120mm of rear travel, and I think I would be OK with the travel of the Enduro SL but the Dean is a bit short on travel for me. What I don't get is where you state that the Enduro has "a little more in the rear" for travel when the Dean has 82.5mm and the Enduro SL is 150mm. That's quite a bit different. Are you sure you have the right Specialized and Dean bikes listed here?

Dean
    http://www.deanbikes.com/mountain/ac...e/acexlite.htm

Specialized
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...sid=07EnduroSL

mtbr member
    I dunno, theres something about getting ti that is just.... ooooo, dream bike! The enduro sl wont climb as quick as our stumpy, and it will be heavier, but it will go up techy climbs easier and descend a whole lot better. i couldnt tell you about dean, other than it's pretty. hopefully someone with more valid input will respond.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well, these are entirely different bikes. The standover of the Dean would keep me from buying it anyway. Does one fit any better than the other? How is the Stumpy too big for you? I have an 07 Stumpy FSR that I love, and I didn't like the upright feeling of the Enduro SL but it does appear to be a nice bike. I prefer to be a bit more stretched out, but not to the extent of the Epic (or the Dean). Also, I like having 120mm of rear travel, and I think I would be OK with the travel of the Enduro SL but the Dean is a bit short on travel for me. What I don't get is where you state that the Enduro has "a little more in the rear" for travel when the Dean has 82.5mm and the Enduro SL is 150mm. That's quite a bit different. Are you sure you have the right Specialized and Dean bikes listed here?

Dean
    http://www.deanbikes.com/mountain/ac...e/acexlite.htm

Specialized
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...sid=07EnduroSL
    Well, the guy who sold me the stumpy 'thought' it was a large, and I rode it all summer before my lbs told me that it is an xl and I am only 5'10". I thought the enduro had only 4' of rear travel. The Enduro will come in at about 28lbs while the Dean is somewhere in the 25lb range. I have not had the chance to demo either further than the parking lot.

Also, from all the reviews that I have read, the Enduro is supposed to be an awesome climber in addition to its downhill attributes, otherwise I wouldn't even be considering it.

How do you think the Ti will hold up against the carbon? Logically, the Ti should be stronger and not be affected by nicks and scrapes while the carbon could be.

mtbr member
    To me, there is no direct comparison between these bikes. The Dean will be a better climber just in weight, geometry, and travel sag alone. I prefer the horst link on the Enduro SL to the Dean. Also, the Dean just wouldn't fit me anyway.

Between the materials, the Ti is nice but I dig the carbon as well. You get a very stiff frame and fork with a lot more travel. What else are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    in my opinion a bunch of bikes all of similar weights will only climb depending on how good your legs are at climbing!!! i saw a kid on a freakin single speed chopper power his way up an asphalt hill that i struggle on the other day, he just pumped out of the saddle all the way!!! decending is a different story, the enduro with its long fork is perfect for it, i do it on my xc but with the handle bars down low i can feel the bike wanting to go over, it takes a lot of skill to stop me from flipping sometimes although one of thease days im going to hit something way to big and fly over those bars like superman!

mtbr member
    I would agree with others, those two bikes seem completely different in terms of what they were designed for. I would like to think that the Dean is more closely linked to the Epic, 3.5" travel XC racer, not a 5-6" All Mountain rig. I would have a think back to what you are trying to cover here with your requirements.. Interestingly, the Stumpy fits right in the middle in terms of it's capabilities.. Maybe you should have a look-see at the new '08 version, and check out the right size!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys! I have been leaning towards the Enduro all along, but my buddy who used to do quite a bit of xc racing of course likes the lightweight Dean. But his Dean is only 2-3 lbs lighter than the enduro so not huge of a wieght difference considering the travel on the enduro.

I just wanted a little more travel to try to get the balls to go over some of the bigger stuff I have been walking down, while not losing the ability to climb well. Typically, the geometry of the enduro would not make it a good climber. However, if you believe the hundreds of reviews stating that the Enduro Sl climbs great, then I should be in pretty good shape.

I really appreciate all the feedback from you guys. One last question, does anyone know if you can string up better rims to the stock hubs on the SL? I saw another thread where a guy made some custom shims to run 20mm hubs on the 25mm thru axle. I think it would be easier if you could just string up some 819's or the like to the oem hubs.

mtbr member
    The Enduro SL climbs fine in general, and climbs great for bikes of that design and travel.

If you are getting the S-Works, it should have some pretty good rims. Otherwise, just get the new Roval wheels. I think it's the Traversee or something like that which comes with the 08 S-Works Enduro SL. Nice wheel, mostly (well, I think all) made by DT Swiss. Just get their valve and rim tape to run tubeless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    All the advice above has been really good, but I will put my "five pence worth in" (that's a British thing, sorry). First of all if your Stumpy was sold to you incorrectly (frame size) I am guessing it may not have been set up properly, shock pressure etc, this can make a big difference to the feel of you bike, especially down hill!

It sounds to me, as Student Driver pointed out that the Stumpy could be the ideal bike for you and you should just try it in the correct size and get a good bike shop to help you with shock/fork/tyre pressure. The stumpy is an excellent bike, there are some great deals on the 07 models at the moment, plus it should out climb the Enduro! Make sure you get a demo on the bike before you buy one (not just around the car park), most good LBS will do this for you, especially if you are looking to spend many dollars!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GBR1
    All the advice above has been really good, but I will put my "five pence worth in" (that's a British thing, sorry).
    I thought that was 'tuppence' ????? (me being a brit as well!!!!)
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Enduro SL climbs fine in general, and climbs great for bikes of that design and travel.

If you are getting the S-Works, it should have some pretty good rims. Otherwise, just get the new Roval wheels. I think it's the Traversee or something like that which comes with the 08 S-Works Enduro SL. Nice wheel, mostly (well, I think all) made by DT Swiss. Just get their valve and rim tape to run tubeless.
    I would imagine that a bike of this calibur would reveal my limits and weaknesses more so than it actually limiting me.

As for the rims, the '07 comes with the DT swiss that are supposedly rather weak and have no tubeless option. I am hoping that I can string up some Mavics or the like to the existing hubs.

mtbr member
    That's cool. I run Crossmax SLs on mine. If you like to climb, but want more travel, the new Stumpy is pretty sweet. I still like mine because of the comparatively relaxed geometry, but it's a nice setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I also have crossmax on my stumpy, but don't know how you could run those on the 25mm thru axle on the Enduro Sl.

mtbr member
    No, but I was indicating the strength of it. I think the Roval stuff looks good, or go with I9 and wait a couple of months for something to show up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Based on the comments above and based on the requirements you stated, I agree that a Carbon 08 Stumpy would be perfect for you, when equipped in the right size. Similar weight as the Dean but a LOT more capable.

The Enduro SL is even more capable when looking at overall ability but obviously it weighs a bit more and probably is over-built for the purpose you plan to use it for. Purely from a climbing perspective, the 08 Carbon Stumpy is probably a little better than the Carbon 08 Enduro SL, but for descending, the Enduro is obviously MUCH better. Pick your poison !

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well, I took the plunge and bought the Enduro today. Took it for a long, but easy ride to try to dial it in. I must say that it is very stiff and responsive. The Magura's work WAY better than the XTR setup I just had put on the Stumpy. I will miss the all in one shifters/brake levers, but the added braking control is well worth it. Both shocks worked very well, but I noticed after the ride was over that the travel lockout was no longer functioning normally--even in the 'climb' postion, the fork extends to full travel. That is seriously dissappointing!! WTF Definitely didn't expect to have anything break in the first ride, much less an extremely easy one. Is there an easy fix for this leak, or is the bike going back to the lbs for a while? I would just take it back and exchange it, but they don't have any more of the '07 in my size. Thanks for all the input by the way!! Love this joint

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have an 07 S-Works Enduro SL and an 06 Stumpy Comp. While not a great comparison since the Stumpy is not equipped as nicely, my SL out climbs my Stumpy any day of the week. The geometry of the SL is perfect for technical climbs where you've got to manuever over a lot of rock steeps. If you like Moab, then you'll really be impressed with the SL for climbing AND descending. The stock DT 420's on the 07 SL's will bend easily if you ride hard (I ride National Trail on South Mountain in Phoenix several times a week). I have a pair of DT 540's and a new pair of Roval's for the SL. The 540's are heavy but bullet proof. The Roval's are impressively light and very tough. I was skeptical that the Roval's could take the abuse bombing down National but they have. The 08 S-Works SL's come stock with the Roval's. I've also experimented with tires and I've found the Chunder 2.2 2Bliss work great on the Roval's for technical riding. I have the S-Work's Chunder 2.3's on my DT 540's and they also work really well but again are much heavier (DH race tire) than Chunder 2.2 1-plys. I started out thinking that I would run the Roval's when I had tons of climbing and switch to the DT540's for aggressive DH oriented riding. Now I run the Roval's most of the time. If I'm shuttling or doing lift assist runs though I switch to the DT 540's.

There is no travel lockout on the Enduro SL's. There is the ability to lower the front fork by 40mm by rotating the left black dial clockwise. Once you rotate the dial compress the fork and it will stay at 110mm travel Vs 150mm. When you rotate back the fork will automatically extend if your weight is off the bike and you have the right air pressure in the front fork.

A quick note on the Spec E150 fork. If you have an 07 fork there is a reasonable chance that it has a manufacturing defect that causes it to leak air. After several new fork cartridges my problem was solved. I've have never needed to add air to the front fork (after about 3 months so far). If your fork is leaking tell your LBS to get another cartridge from Spec. They'll send it out over night and you'll be running in no time. I would ride the bike until the cartridge comes in though....just add air before every ride.

If you want to step up to more technical riding you will really like what you can do on the SL Vs Stumpy. I used to go over the bars on my Stumpy more often than I liked on tough terrain. It's rare now on the SL and I'm riding much more technical terrain. Also, if you want to descend tough stuff set your SL shock in the rear bolt hole. This will slack the head angle and lower the bottom bracket by about .5 inches. I've found it to be a good trade and just leave mine in the rear hole all of time now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for all the info!! I was just surfing around to see if I could find the tape to make the 420's tubeless, or if there was a way that I could just string up some mavic rims to the existing hubs. My bike is right at 28 lbs so i definitely don't want to go much heavier, but I do want to run tubeless. I was thinking of getting some Mavic 819 rims unless anyone has a suggestion to get a crossmax wheel made with the front 25mm axle.

mtbr member
    You're right, it isn't a great comparison. Did the 06 Stumpy FSR Comp have a 120mm fork? The others had the 140mm TALAS like in 07 right? Still, a carbon fiber bike with the tubing shape of the already stiff Enduro SL makes it quite the ride. I plan on trying a regular Enduro SL soon on my usual "calibration" climb, but I still do really well on my Stumpy. Only one over the bar, but that was two rather large rock surfaces that hit both wheels at the same time.

If I could comfortably climb something technical, like Brown Canyon or some of the stuff in Sonoita like I can with my Stumpy then I might consider it when I have to replace this one. Of course, I have to get used to having more weight as I doubt I can fork out for an S-Works like some people...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    [QUOTE=Student Driver]You're right, it isn't a great comparison. Did the 06 Stumpy FSR Comp have a 120mm fork? The others had the 140mm TALAS like in 07 right? Still, a carbon fiber bike with the tubing shape of the already stiff Enduro SL makes it quite the ride. I plan on trying a regular Enduro SL soon on my usual "calibration" climb, but I still do really well on my Stumpy. Only one over the bar, but that was two rather large rock surfaces that hit both wheels at the same time.

If I could comfortably climb something technical, like Brown Canyon or some of the stuff in Sonoita like I can with my Stumpy then I might consider it when I have to replace this one. Of course, I have to get used to having more weight as I doubt I can fork out for an S-Works like some people... [

Sorry man!! I told my wife that this is my mid life crisis Porsche!! lol BTW, my Stupmy has the Talas 90-130 mm trail tune version on it. Any idea on the rims o wise one??

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    kodiakz - My LBS made my DT 420's tubless. They used electrical tape (believe it on not!) to seal the rim and plenty of stans to seal it up. I was also running Chunder 2.3's on the DT 420's and they are not tubeless but they still sealed up nicely. I was quite impressed at how well this worked. I've have not run a tube in over a year with ZERO flats. I used to get a lot of flats in the rocky terrain I typically ride. But this tubless approach seems to require some experience to apply. My LBS has done this quite a few times so I'm not sure if there are some "tricks" involved to get it right. I would run the Chunder 2.2 2Bliss tires on the DT 420's if you want light weight. BTW - the Roval's are tubless rims if you end up upgrading in the future.

Student Driver - my Stumpy comp has the Fox 120. The 07's have the 140mm. The 07 carbon Stumpy's look really cool. A buddy of mine has one and he likes it a lot. The same guy test rode the 08 carbon Stumpy and said it was out of this World! The carbon SL frame and the E150 fork with the 25mm through hub is phenomially stiff. NO flex at all. Where I ride I have some problems on the Sumpy with bottom bracket height. I suspect that if you did an apples to apples climbing test on smoother single track the Stumpy would win since it would be 2 pounds lighter. But the minute the trail has obsticles I think the SL would win the climb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Dean

I would pick the Dean if you liked the ride. Deans are all custom so size is not a factor because you can get any geometry you want instead of 5 sizes to fit to, Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast