mtbr member
    Mar 2011

S-Works crankset: Do I need the center sleeve?

I have an interesting dilemma: The carbon/alloy center sleeve is completely seized on the drive side of my S-Works crankset (from my 2011 S-Works Epic). I removed the crankset to examine and clean it after the center bolt loosened up while riding, and the bearings, bearing cups and sleeve all came off in one piece on the drive side. Without removing the sleeve, I'm not sure if I can press the bearings and cups back into the bottom bracket (nor would I ever be able to replace that bearing if/when needed). I've tried everything in my power to get it off (soaking with PB Blaster for days, heat, hammering, and eventually a twisting with a pipe wrench) and it simply won't budge.

My next (and final) option is to cut it off and replace it. But I am wondering if I even need it? What does it actually do? I thought for a while that it somehow held the bearings in place, but the PF30 press-in cups do that. In fact, the installation instructions note that the center sleeve is "MTB compatible only." So that would imply that road bikes that use this crank do not use the center sleeve.

Can anyone tell me what this component actually does? And would I have any issues if I did not replace it? The part I am referring to is #8 on page 2 in this installation diagram:
    http://service.specialized.com/colla...B-Crankset.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    excuse me can i ask something i have recently bought the epic carbon expert 2013 model
    can i use S-works cranks on it without any hassle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    to answer your question if the bottom bracket fell to pieces for you adn the bearing came off.
    did it actually fall into parts like totally fall to crap?
    if the ring witht he balls came off i guess i do not know for sure so im guessing
    it might be so you have to replace the bottom bracket.
    but like i said im guessing here

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No, none of the bearings came off or "fell to pieces" while riding. Only the center bolt loosened up. When I got home, I disassembled the crank completely and that is when I found the center spacer seized on the drive side. The bearings and washers were all intact, but just stuck to the between the center spacer and the spider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PekkaS-works View Post
    excuse me can i ask something i have recently bought the epic carbon expert 2013 model
    can i use S-works cranks on it without any hassle?
    Yes, you should be able to use the S-works crank on your 2013 Epic.

Also - if you have a question unrelated to the original post, it is better to start a new thread than to hijack the existing thread.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Heat will have the opposite effect that you want. Freezing the crank might help as the alloy should shrink but I'm not 100% on that.

To your original query, you should be able to replace the unit from Spec parts, however IMO you don't need it. I now have the Wheels MFG unit on my 2011 SW and this has a sleeve in the middle which is made up of 2 pieces, not solid as the Spec part. Ditto the SRAM PF30 unit except this is made of 2 polycarbonate pieces unlike the alloy of the Wheels MFG unit.

hth

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've been running my s- crank without the sleeve for nearly two years. Everything is still running smoothly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jnr_seahorse View Post
    I've been running my s- crank without the sleeve for nearly two years. Everything is still running smoothly.
    Excellent, thanks. I will be cutting it off!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've used those cranks on bikes for a number of years. I've never used the sleeve.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Interesting. I wonder what its purpose is then? Specialized had to put it there for a reason.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Matches View Post
    Interesting. I wonder what its purpose is then? Specialized had to put it there for a reason.
    It locates the inner bearing faces through the PF30 cups. Thinking a little about it, I wonder if it is actually a bad thing as it creates a situation where there is side loading on the bearings. Without it the bearings will have more tolerance for a variety of side loadings and so be less critical in that dimension as the PF30 cups would deflect more...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How do you get the park tool bb30 tool to remove the bb with this sleeve stopping the tool from going through?I need to replace the bearings on my sworks epic 2013 but can not figure out how to make the tool work..the sleeve does not move.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Bearings or the whole thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Santanasan View Post
    How do you get the park tool bb30 tool to remove the bb with this sleeve stopping the tool from going through?I need to replace the bearings on my sworks epic 2013 but can not figure out how to make the tool work..the sleeve does not move.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The whole thing,

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Santanasan View Post
    The whole thing,
    You shouldn't need the tool as you don't have BB30, but PF30. The bearings will simply press out, if sticky drive them out with a piece of doweling from the other side once the crank is removed.