Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

S-Works 2008 Stumpjumper custom build - comments please

814 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  blinder 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a custom build that hopefully will be finished mid-Jan (I am in the UK). It's not too late to tweak the spec so I'd welcome comments on the choices. I was going to buy the standard S-Works carbon bike but supply is tough and the custom build allows a nice research of components to take place. This is going to be my regular, most used bike. It will replace a 2006 S-Works SJ which was also a custom build. My riding on this bike is UK XC and summer trips to the French Alps where the SJ has held up fine, even though an Enduro would be a better choice for bigger hits.

My choices on components on top of the frame are:

STEM Thomson Elite X4 31.8mm 70mm black 0degree rise
HANDLEBARS Specialized OS XC low rise carbon bar, 640mm wide, 6 degree up, 8 degree backsweep
GRIPS Lizard Skins lock-on Moab
BRAKES Avid Juicy Ultimates 203 front 185 rear
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M970 XTR, DMD top swing
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano M972 XTR Shadow
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano XTR SL-M970
CASSETTE FREEWHEEL XTR M970 11-34t
CHAIN Connex 9X1
CRANKSET Shimano M970 XTR
PEDALS N/A Shimano XTR M970
RIMS Mavic Crossmax SLR UST Disc 2008 (pair, black and red)
TYRES Conti Vert Pro UST 2.3 front and back
SADDLE Specialized Phenom, Titanium rails 143 mm

See less See more
#3 ·
I went for the Crossmax as they are light and I want to get this bike light almost just to see if it really feels better. The standard bike was my start point and the Roval wheels are not really known. I'll ry the wheels and see, not too worried about them from the reviews. Partly also they look great and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that played a part in the whole spec.

#4 ·
Sounds like a great build to me.

I would change a couple of things, but I ride the South Downs, and weigh 15 stone, so what suits me may not suit you.

1. I prefer XTR brakes to the Juicys you've chosen. I find them easier to maintain, and haven't noticed any compromise in power or modualtion over the Juicy 7's that I tried. This is very personal as I see many people on here complaining about having to continually set up their XTR disc brakes.

2. I run the XT Shadow myself. I can't get used to the idea of hanging a skinny bit of carbon, like the XTR, in such an exposed position on my bike. The XT shadow doesn't have the bling factor of the XTR, but it certainly does the job just as well as the 970 it replaced.

3. I chose the Crossmax ST wheelset, instead of the SLR for 2 reasons. When you're as fat as me a couple of grams in the wheelset doesn't really matter, and the ST is better suited to my type of trail riding/ singletrack etc. An additional consideration was the £200 I saved myself.

4. Tyres. Personally I prefer the Conti Gravity 2.3 for the spring/ summer and my new fave for winter mud is the Panaracer Trailraker 2.1 UST. The Trailraker is the best tyre I have found so far for the winter conditions around here. The mud/ leaves/ crap clearance is very effective. The rolling resistance is very low. Whilst I don't believe they make a tyre that grips on wet roots, this tyre feels more secure and controllable over fast singletrack than any other I have tried.

As I have said, these are personal choices that work for me. Your own choices will make an excellent bike, which many riders would 'die for'.

Make sure you post some photos when you get the bike.

All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.