Thread: S-Weight

Weekend Warrior

S-Weight

Just had my bike weight in today, after the installation of new wheels and disk brakes which where upgraded from V-brakes. It weighs in at 29.39 lbs. It gained 1.5lbs in the process of the upgrade. Initial weight when the bike was new was in the 27s. But those Time ATAC Zs also weigh a ton.

I guess the rims the standard Rockhopper came with were really lightweight and possibly good quality wheels. Do those DT Swiss 420SL wheels and 2 AVID BB7s make my bike look fat?

It feels heavier and then I have troubles getting those BB7s to work, but that's another story in the brake forum. To top it all off, after getting a brand new tube, my front tire started loosing air for no apparent reason.

2008 Standard RockHopper (converted to Disk) Large Frame.

What's your bikes weight?
    Last edited by daleksic; 07-20-2008 at 08:10 PM.

for three!
    Mar 2008
    My 08 stumpy hardtail is 22.98 with some uber light tires.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    My 08 Stumpy Pro FSR is 26.5, and that's with the heavy weirwolves.

mtbr member
    08 Enduro SL Comp XL: 30.5 lbs. upgraded cassette and crank to Shimano XT, running Specialized Enduro 2.4 tires with Stans No Tubes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    08 Enduro SL Pro Carbon Large: 29.3lbs

Wait, what!?
    Large Enduro SL Expert is right around 30.5 pounds too. Stans No Tubes with 2.4 Mutanos front and back. My pedals are huge though, and I am confident I could get it below 30 (maybe even right at 29) with some new ones as well as a new cassette.

mtbr member
    07 Enduro SL - S-works with Maverick adjustable seat post and Chunder 2.3s(tubless) - 29 even

05Stumpy s-works 25.5 with 2.0 captian tubless .

Both are mediums
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    Disc wheels will normally weigh more than rim brake wheels, if you're comparing the same product so to speak, for you need the hubs for the disc attachment. Not sure if your Rockhopper original wheels were "good quality", but this will all depend on which disc wheelset you have now.

For example, I weighed my son's Hardrock's stock front wheel (without skewer) that was rim brake, and it was 1080 grams. My Mavic Crossmax ST disc front wheel (without skewer) was 789 grams. That's a huge difference for one wheel...and I have to admit that my Crossmax is probably better than the Hardrock's stock wheel.

Weekend Warrior
    I'm not sure what my original V'brake wheels weight was, but my new Specialized/DT Swiss 420SL is:

Front Wheel Weight: 875g
    Rear Wheel Weight: 1140g

So my original wheels must have been feather weights. I know the rear hub probably weighs more and I don't like the 16 points of engagement, whereas my old one I think had 24 points. The disks and calipers weigh around 700g together. The thing that kills me, now the bike feels like 10 pounds heavier when riding. I guess maybe because the weight has been moved to the center of the wheel.

for three!
    Mar 2008
    Hmm by your weights of the new wheels, your old rockhopper wheels should be heavier. That's a mystery. You did gain a fair amount of weight with your disc brakes though.