mtbr member

S Seats Braking Rails

Im trying to figure out why Rival and Alias Ti rails keep breaking on me. I'm 180 with gear, ride x/c. My post is a Thompson. The last 2 have gone only 25 hours. Any insight greatly appreciated.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    check your clamp and make sure there isnt any burs, etc. also dont over tighten

mtbr member
    I gave away my Rival to the person that bought my previous bike. I have a WTB Rocket Stealth and absolutely love it.

I am sorry my post was of little use

SALLGUD

Breaking or bending?

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845
    Im trying to figure out why Rival and Alias Ti rails keep breaking on me. I'm 180 with gear, ride x/c. My post is a Thompson. The last 2 have gone only 25 hours. Any insight greatly appreciated.
    I have bent my Rival's rails once, but that was totally my fault. At 6'4" and 235, I mist-timed a bunny-hop and got the seat nearly jammed up my... I didn't try to get Specialized to warranty it...I just bought a new one.

Other than that one time, I have had nary an issue with them. I had one on my Turner, one on my Yeti 575, and now have one on my Stumpy FSR Expert. I used to use WTB Rockets but vastly prefer the Rivals...

I agree with the previous poster. I also use a Thomson, but you should check for burrs and definitely DO NOT overtighten the clamp.

Michael

mtbr member
    The rails have broken. The S website says the new Rivals got solid Ti rails, maybe I'll try that 1 next. I dont overtighten the clamp, just snug, and no burs. Maybe a freak bad production run, I'll have to give em 1 more try because they fit great.