mtbr member
    Nov 2010

S or M 2011 Specialized Comp Carbon 26?

Hi guys I am fairly new to MTB and to this forum but have a dilemma that I need some help with from those in the know...

I am 5ft 7" , inseam 79cm/31", torso length 62cm and arm length 61.5cm.

From what I can determine using the bike fit calculators online I seem to have dimensions that place me somewhere between a small 2011 Specialized epic and a medium.

I have only been able to try a medium at my LBS (which felt ok) and there aren't any smalls in my state. I am hesitant to drop so much coin on a bike unless it is perfect. So, using the wealth of experience there seems to be on these forums, can anyone offer some advice as to what size I should go with?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    im 5'8 inseam 30" in ride a medium

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 7" with a 29" inseam. I have been able to try both sizes and I could ride either size but the small feels more comfortable to me. I feel more in control of the small over the medium , however I could ride the medium also, just a little more stretched out. I may depend on the type of riding you will be doing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam. I ride a small 2010 Stumpjumper. It has a nice upright feel that some call "cramped", but I like being able to flick the bike around and slide my weight back easily. You can't do that very well if you are already stretched out. I ride a lot of rooty and rocky singletrack with some downhill section where you definitely want to get your weight back over the rear wheel.

I agree that it definitely depends on the terrain you are riding. The rougher/steeper the terrain, you might feel more comfortable on a smaller/shorter bike. If you are riding mostly smooth, fast singletrack, the larger/longer bike might be better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for your help! I will be riding fast single-track more often than any twisty terrain so perhaps the medium will be more suited. I may try and ride another brand xc with a similar TT length and see how that feels in comparison...cheers!

mtbr member
    I would recommend going for the small