mtbr member
    Apr 2004

RP23 vs. RP2 vs. Triad to PUSH????

I've decided to take some action to improve the performance of my 2006 Stumpjumper FSR Expert. The first thing I want to do is replace the Triad. I was originally looking to buy a Fox RP23 and send it to PUSH for stroke shortening and service, but a few things have me questioning this move. First of which is the possibility of doing the same thing, but with an RP2 (less money). Would I see significant improvement with the RP2 over the much maligned and poorly performing Triad, or should I pay the extra $$$ and go for the RP23?

Also, while on the PUSH site, I saw that they do perform service on the Triad, but it looks to just be a rebuild. Anyone try this option?

I know this subject has been covered ad nauseum, but I am basically looking for some comparison between the three options.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Also awaiting replys on this subject. Looks like Push has some decent deals if received before Dec 31st. I'm going to send the Talas and Triad off an 07 SJ in the next week. Buying another shock plus the PUSH service to an older bike doesn't work for me, unless your getting the shock for free.

mtbr member
    All Push can do to the Triad is a rebuild. They can't do any of their custom valving options that they are famous for with that shock. IMO, I would buy a new shock before sending the Triad to Push. I put an RP23 on my 07 Stumpy and it is incredible. Its like riding a totally different bike. Soaks up all the rough stuff like the Triad but actually has some pedal platform when hammering. The Triad was always horrible on climbs, not so with the RP23. The 07 has a 1.75" stroke stock and the RP23 isn't available in that. I put on a 7.785 x 2.0" and it fits fine. Adds some 20mm+- to the travel and raises the rear up a tad. I put a 650B wheel up front to balance out the geometry change. With that combo, I've fallen in love with my bike again.

I'm not sure the difference you would notice with the RP2 vs. RP23. I picked up mine on ebay for $200 brand new (09). Took me a while to find a deal on one with the right factory settings but look around and something will eventually pop up. I'm not sure of the lengths on the 06 so make sure it will fit if you go this route or have push redo it.

Also, call Push and discuss it with them. They are very friendly and would be glad to discuss it with you and help you out.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Called PUSH today and spoke to Jim. Nice guy and we went through a lot of options. Worth the call to see what's up. He had all the proper reference material available so no guessing.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Had an 06 SJ with Triad and a friend had the same year bike. He found an RP23 (new) with the same dimensions and stroke (I think it was for a Cannondale).

We did some comparisons trading out bikes - mine with the triad and his with the PR23. I was really excited to ride it and was considering an RP23 myself. Was disappointed that the difference wasn't that big a deal. The PR23 set to propedal 2 was basically the same as the triad. The RP23 does give the option of 1, 2 and 3 propedal settings, so there are more options, but didn't seem to be that big of a difference.

Maybe it was because the RP23 was and OEM model, or that is was tuned for the Cannondale, but certainly not worth the money he paid for it. He didn't send it off to push, but plans to - that may be the difference maker. Maybe the difference is making the change to a longer shock and stroke like chuckie did above.

I would think that the RP2 is tuned to be in the middle of the RP23's adjustment range, which would put it pretty closely in line with the Triad.
    Last edited by NCtrailX; 12-09-2009 at 04:27 AM.