mtbr member

Roval wheels, how stiff, how good?

What do you guys think of the Roval controle wheels. I am more intrested in how stiff they are?

I was thinking of getting a set for my stumpy?
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by toytech64
    What do you guys think of the Roval controle wheels. I am more intrested in how stiff they are?

I was thinking of getting a set for my stumpy?
    i loved thoes wheels on my 08 stumpy pro.

i wished i had a set for my enduro ,,( i am going to have to get a set i guess )--

i really did not think they would live on an enduro , ------but i see alot of guys pounding the hell out of them , and only one guy broke one spoke so far that i know of

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have them and am impressed at how tough they are. THey came on my Sworks Stumpy and have held up great. I did break a spoke once, but I didn't even notice until the ride was over. I think I snagged something and it popped the spoke at the nippel. I weigh about 190 in riding gear. I check them about once a month for tweaks and that's pretty much it. I have a set of Hope hubs with Olympic ZTR rims and even with 32 spokes they don't feel as stiff. Overall I think their very nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    They are sweet wheels. Super light and srong/stiff. The DT powered hubs are also super smooth and will take a beating. I definitely reccomend these wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Theres a recent review of the wheels HERE

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    After reading this thread along with other reviews I have just ordered a set of Roval Controle XC's. I am told that the best place to lose weight on a bike is off the wheels and this is what I am doing. I ride an 07 Carbon Epic S works with top finishing kit which I thought included my Hope XC hubs on Mavic 717 rims, although knew these were a little weak.
    I recently stripped the wheels down to weigh them and was amazed to find that they were much heavier than I thought at 1970g, although they are very smooth and robust.
    These new wheels will save me about 1.5 lbs with the new skewers. I am going for the 09 black as I think the silver is a little gruesome, they should be here in about one month.
    My LBS have told me they are very good wheels, alot better than the Roval road wheels which have been problematic. Anyone had any negative experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Only problem I had was finding a replacement spoke. Took my specialized dealer 3 weeks to track them down.