mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Roval Wheel Carbon Upgrade worth it or not enough difference?

Recently purchased a 2013 Epic Expert (Didn't want the xx1 on the Marathon) that comes with the Alloy Roval Control's. What I'm wondering is if it's worth spending the money to upgrade to either the carbon version or the SL Carbon?

do you notice much difference to the feel of the bike, or not worth the outlay (thinking of using them for a race only set, mainly marathon stuff)?

Compelling, and rich.
    I upgraded the stock "Rovals" on my Camber Comp Carbon 29 with the $1200 Carbon Control wheelset and noticed a massive difference.

You'll save at least .5 lbs in the area where you notice it the most and have a rim that is much stiffer, tracks better, and has better durability.

I'm a pretty aggressive rider and run below the minimum recommended PSI both front and rear (22.5 up front and 24 in the rear) and haven't burped them yet. I've checked a few times since I initially put them on the bike (3+ months at this point) and they are as true as the day I got them.

The upgrade won't be as huge for you as it was for me (hubs on the stock wheelset on my bike were garbage), but it will still be a very large upgrade.

If you spring for the more expensive SL versions the difference will be even greater, particularly if you get the 2014 model.

mtbr member
    I went from:
    Roval Control Trail EL, aluminum 1600g,
    to:
    Roval Traverse SL, carbon 1500g.

The hubs are the same on both wheelsets and even though it was only a 100g difference, it was a night and day difference in the way they ride. The carbon wheels dampen the trail more, ride smoother, feel more responsive and even though the weight is similar, the carbons feel like they climb and accelerate way better. It was such a drastic change that I dont know if I can ever go back to aluminum wheels.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    =Mr. Lynch;10555766

night and day difference in the way they ride. The carbon wheels dampen the trail more, ride smoother, feel more responsive and even though the weight is similar, the carbons feel like they climb and accelerate way better. It was such a drastic change that I dont know if I can ever go back to aluminum wheels.
    Totally agree, can't quite believe how much better these wheels perform.

Have had some nice wheelsets (w/aluminum rims) in the past, nothing compares.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have 2013 Epic Expert and upgraded to Control Carbon Wheelset(not $1700 SL), and it was totally worth it. Many articles I've read for upgrading, wheelsets are one of the best upgrades since they are the biggest moving parts on a bike.
    Running tubeless, changed rear tire to Renegade, both running at 30psi. Love it!

mtbr member
    Used to ride a 2012 Epic Expert,replaced stock rovals with carbon rovals...night and day difference.
    Currently riding a 2013 Stumpy fsr. Did not even bother with stock wheels,replaced them with Sun Ringle Black Flags and 2 weeks ago with roval control trail carbon. Massive difference !! Honestly I'm done with alu wheels. Worth every penny to me!!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I run a set of Easton Haven 29's on my SW Epic for winter and a set of Control SL's for summer and fast stuff. The Haven's are a very nice wheelset, around 1800gms and nicely strung. They are wider than the Roval's and that is a nice option for winter riding (although the Epic cannot take a rear tyre wider than about a 2.3 Hans Dampf (BTDT). The Haven's are also nicely strung and I have not had to re-tension the spokes over the 500kms that I have ridden them so far.

All that said there is an immediate and noticeable difference when I run the carbon rovals. They turn in better, and ride better and accelerate better. The reliability over 4,000kms of riding has been good - 2 broken spokes in the rear wheel so far and had to re-tension the rear wheel twice, but the wheels are very strong and are still 100% true. The front bearings don't last long (about a year), and they are need a good tubeless sealing strip, but otherwise no complaints.

mtbr member
    Its got to be a ride quality thing as the weight diff is only 100g. I would love to try some!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Its got to be a ride quality thing as the weight diff is only 100g. I would love to try some!
    100gr doesn't seem much but since we are taking that away from something that spins ( wheels/cranks) the difference is quite noticeable. Couple that with carbon's rims improved lateral stiffness and you've got one heck of a sweet ride.