CTB
    mtbr member

Roval Traversee Wheels: Best way to convert to tubeless?

Hi all. Cross-posting this from Wheels and Tires. I thought since this wheelset is what comes on the Specialized S-Works Enduro Carbon that maybe there are some Spec owners here with some insight.

I've just taken delivery of a set of used Specialized Roval Traversee wheels. Because they are used, I didn't get the blue rim tape that normally comes with them, but I got just about everything else. My goal is to convert these to tubeless via Stan's, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for how to do this? Specialized has their blue rim tape, Stan has his yellow tape, or should I get some other kind of rim strip? Certainly I want to be as light as possible, but I also want to seal them well and reliably. They are a shallow design, so I think the Stan's rubber rim strip wouldn't work properly. My gut feel is to get a roll of the Spec/Stan's tape and go from there, but I wondered if anyone else had advice. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    Hi all. Cross-posting this from Wheels and Tires. I thought since this wheelset is what comes on the Specialized S-Works Enduro Carbon that maybe there are some Spec owners here with some insight.

I've just taken delivery of a set of used Specialized Roval Traversee wheels. Because they are used, I didn't get the blue rim tape that normally comes with them, but I got just about everything else. My goal is to convert these to tubeless via Stan's, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for how to do this? Specialized has their blue rim tape, Stan has his yellow tape, or should I get some other kind of rim strip? Certainly I want to be as light as possible, but I also want to seal them well and reliably. They are a shallow design, so I think the Stan's rubber rim strip wouldn't work properly. My gut feel is to get a roll of the Spec/Stan's tape and go from there, but I wondered if anyone else had advice. Thanks!

I run the Traverse wheels with Specialized Eskar tires (tubeless) and the stock blue tape. I have not had any issues with leakage or burping and I have two seasons on the wheels. You could probably use other methods, but why not use the parts that Sprcialized intended and designed to work together?
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm probably going to have my LBS order the blue tape; I just wanted to see what experience folks have had with it, the wheels, etc. Good to hear you've had good luck with the blue tape. Do you have Stan's or other sealant in yours?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    I'm probably going to have my LBS order the blue tape; I just wanted to see what experience folks have had with it, the wheels, etc. Good to hear you've had good luck with the blue tape. Do you have Stan's or other sealant in yours?
    I use Stan's
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

Fat Biker
    if you already have the yellow Stan's tape you can use that also.
    Don't be a Hater!
    Black Sheep Phat Speedster SS
    Borealis Yampa XX1
    Salsa Spearfish RS1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

CTB
    mtbr member
    I don't have either tape yet. I'm debating if I use the blue Spec tape since that is what the wheel maker likes, or if I use the yellow Stan's tape since that is compatible with the sealant I'll use (already have the jug of Stan's from other tires). Thanks for all the feedback - sounds like both tapes work equally well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Use Gorilla tape, cheap, light, and you don't mind if it gets destroyed when you true the wheels later on

mtbr member
    May 2009
    when i used to have mine i just use specialized's tape+stans sealent, it works perfectly and no problem at all
    Custom 08 Swork Stumpy FSR
    Custom Revell 250R Jump/4x/street
    Custom '10 Enduro - "sometimes trail ride turns into freeride"

Mulleticious
    I used household electric insulation tape, because that's what i had at the time - no issues.

Oh - and Stans sealant of course. Stopping to fix punctures has reduced by 95% - tubeless is fab!

adamant
    Sep 2006
    another vote for Specialized blue tape.

i've done about 10 pairs of wheels, still on 1 roll of tape... <$1/wheel. i do 2-3 laps around the rim w/tape. No issues. I'm also using the Specialized Roval valves.

CTB
    mtbr member
    A friend has some Stan's tape he's willing to give me, so I think for the price, that's the winner.

EDIT: Speaking of valves, has anyone tried Mavic valves with these wheels? I'm only asking because I have some of those and like the well-engineered adapters they have. But it means nothing if they won't seal, of course.