mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Roval Traversee Tire Question

I'm about to custom build an 08 Enduro SL and need user feedback on UST tire compatibility w/the stock Traversee wheelset.

I ran Hutchinson 2.3 UST Pythons on my prophet (RIP) and plan on doing the same. Any recommendations? I heard the 2Bliss system tires suffer leakages/weak sidewalls etc and have nver run Spesh tires.

Otherwise, what other hub/rim/tire combos can I run on a 25mm thru-axle on the Future Shock fork?

Help much appreciated!

Thanks

The Other Dude
    I ran hutchinson spider 2.3 UST tires on my Traversee wheelset, and with a little bit of stans, i had no problems. I tired the specialized airlock juice at first and it was a waste of money, it didnt seal even the specialized tires on the wheels. You will be fine with stans, although the new Specialized Eskar 2.3 is my new favorite all around tire, i have them on my Enduro SL and SX Trail.

You can always get a hub from specialized and build up your own wheelset, i did that with my first SL, i built them up using Mavic 819s. The only other wheelset i have heard that works is a Spinergy Wheelset that you can modify to work with the 25mm axle.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Great thanks. How did the Eskars handle when cornering compared to the Hutchinsons? Do you know how much they weigh?

The Other Dude
    They corner great, and they are a great tire, i ran DH runs with them in dry conditions,and they were fast and hooked up great. In the wet, rocky, rooty conditions we have here in the north east, they hook up great also, the Spiders cleaned themselves in heavy mud, but other than that the eskars are great.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Keep in mind that the 2Bliss tires and other tubeless ready tires are not 'true UST' tires. A real UST tire can be mounted without sealant. The 2Bliss tires and other tubeless ready tires have a UST bead with a conventional casing. The casing will leak air without Stans.

I read a complaint about the 2Bliss tires not holding air overnight, but they weren't using any of the required sealant! With some Stans in there you shouldn't have any sealing problems - just be sure to shake and let the wheels stand on their sides to coat the sidewalls per the Stans video.

mtbr member
    How do the Roval Traversee wheels hold up?
    Do you do drops on them?

I plan on getting a second wheelset for my SX Trail, I have a XT/Marzocchi20mm/Sun Singletrack wheelset right now. Id use it for the bikepark days with some DH rubbers and would like to buy a second one for allround trail riding.

A lot of climbing, some techy descents and moderate (smaller than 3 feet usually drops occasionally).

The Roval Traversee are quite nice but also expensive, so should I just get some Hope/xm819 ?
    Or are they worth the $$, I guess its a labeled DT240 rear hub. Do the rims hold up?

Greetings Znarf

Shread Ready

Thread Revival

I just picked up a pair of Roval Travesee's and have yet to put them on. I need tires and found this thread. Is anyone still riding Rovals and if so what tires? I definitely want tubeless for my setup.

I'm thinking it would be best to go with a Specialized 2bliss tire setup with Stans. I already have Stans so I'm set their. I was thinking I'll just go with the same front/rear since that's how I usually ride and I like to rotate them after the back gets a little worn out. I like to mainly do dry/hard pack rocky front range trails. So, I'd like to keep the weight down for the climbs but I also want a nice 2.3 footprint for when I go to the resorts for DH.

So, after reading I'm thinking that these would be a good option. Prices listed on specialized website.

1) 2.3 Eskar S-WORKS 2Bliss Ready Tire (650g) $60
    2) 2.3 Eskar Control 2Bliss Ready Tire (700g) $45
    3) Chunder Control (1Ply) 2Bliss Ready Tire (855g) $45

Any opinions on these would be appreciated.