mtbr member

Roval Control SL Trail wheels worth it ? ( bike stumpy FSR Elite 29 2013)

Toying with the idea of getting them for my Stumpy. Using Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro 29er,great wheels so far but want to give my ride a bit of a bling and shave some weight. Loved them on my Epic Expert (the xc,skinnier Roval Control ones),would they be a waste of cash on an M5 Stumpy FSR ? I'm gaining a lot of confidence on brutal trails recently,loving it so much. Sissy wheels for this type of riding ?

mtbr member
    I have some for my Stumpy FSR Comp 29er and love them. They make the bike and the ride feel completely different and I dropped bout two pounds...
    Stumpy FSR Comp 29er
    SC Bronson C

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't know. I think it depends on the person more than anything else. How much extra $$ you have sitting around and how important cycling is to you. Are these wheels going to break the bank? Do you ride 100 miles a year or 3,000?

You can buy a lot of cookies, beer, ice cream, and/or (insert whatever you like) with that money.

I have them. They are nice. Are they 2 or 3 times nicer than a $500 wheelset? I am not so sure on that, but I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    I don't know. I think it depends on the person more than anything else. How much extra $$ you have sitting around and how important cycling is to you. Are these wheels going to break the bank? Do you ride 100 miles a year or 3,000?

You can buy a lot of cookies, beer, ice cream, and/or (insert whatever you like) with that money.

I have them. They are nice. Are they 2 or 3 times nicer than a $500 wheelset? I am not so sure on that, but I would buy them again in a heartbeat.
    How important is cycling for me ? I breath out of it. Just sold a Cannondale F29 C3 2013 and one of my fancy swiss watches,I guess I'll pull the trigger on them along with some XTR brakes.

I'm 180 LBS tho, I just hope they will hold up fine.

mtbr member
    I bought a pair for my Stumpy and I weigh 200 lbs and they were great. I switched back to a twenty sixer (S Works Enduro) so they went with the bike, but they were a great investment and would kept them if I still had a twenty niner. I went with the 135/142 version because they offer all of the axle options and you can switch them between bikes. Pull the trigger, you wont be disappointed!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I've put 5,000 kms on my, and I'm 200lbs. NO issues, but you do need to keep checking your spoke tensions on the rear for harder rides...

mtbr member
    Got them !! They will be here by next week. Too bad I won't be able to test them before early september.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are you getting the 2014's or the 2013's?

The 2014's are supposed to be 1370 grams instead of 1450 grams and look pretty sweet. Insane....

mtbr member
    2013's. 2014 Specialized wheels will be available from january 2014 in my market. I'm ok with that,my bike is a 2013 and 1450grs still beats my 1770grs Black Flags,let alone the very enjoyable stiffness. Hopefully my chubby Stumpy FSR 29 will become a bit more lively,that's what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How bout truing carbon rims, any oddities with that?

Workin for the weekend!
    Do You really have to "true" a carbon rim or equalize tension on each side?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I've certainly not had to with mine. I went for 2 weeks aith a broken spoke (holiday) with the rim remaining true. Bombproof and light. Nirvana.

mtbr member
    I went from 2011 Control Trail EL to 2013 Traverse SL and even though the weight was a huge difference, the responsiveness and damping ability of the carbon makes for a night and day difference. I dont think I can go back to aluminum wheels ever again.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    2013's. 2014 Specialized wheels will be available from january 2014 in my market. I'm ok with that,my bike is a 2013 and 1450grs still beats my 1770grs Black Flags,let alone the very enjoyable stiffness. Hopefully my chubby Stumpy FSR 29 will become a bit more lively,that's what I'm looking for.
    Devastazione: I was curious to hear your impression of the Roval wheelset, did they liven up your Stumpy and are they worth the cost? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I use a set of Roval SLs (XC version) on my Niner SS and SJ HT (bead hook version). The set on my SS take a beating, and they have been strong over two full seasons. I broke a spoke on each of the front and rear wheel, but the wheels are still reasonably true. Each time I finished the ride with the broken spoke twisted around another with no issues. I would expect the Roval SL Trail wheelset to have even better durability. Plus, the hubs are so easy to service! Of course, if you are hucking huge jumps and sh$t like that, my review may not apply.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_mtn View Post
    Devastazione: I was curious to hear your impression of the Roval wheelset, did they liven up your Stumpy and are they worth the cost? Thanks.
    Ehi Mike,thank you for getting back to me.

Wheels are good. Worth the money ? Probably. I was hoping to make my Stumpy a bit more lively but that has not been the case,I guess that accounts mostly due to the Stumpy's "sloppy" geometry,no matter if you're riding an M5 Comp or a swanky Sworks.
    Noticed the immediate better stiffness and a more precise steering,but other than that nothing my old Black Flags could not to. Uphill performance did not change much except when the better steering kicks in on rocky terrain. But Stumpy's monster wheels eats up everything because it's a Stumpy FSR 29 no matter what kind of wheels you have on. XC uphills are still a torture anyway….

Worth to mention : these wheels can take a beating no question asked. Rocks,drops,scratches and not a single glitch yet. They're still true and I tell you what : scratches give them a more kickass look.
    I don't see myself going back to ALU wheels anymore anyway,no matter if it's XC or trail.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I put 5400 (hard) miles on my 2013 SL's without a single problem. I did have to replace the bearing at 3400 but that was like $30 bucks.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Ehi Mike,thank you for getting back to me.

Wheels are good. Worth the money ? Probably. I was hoping to make my Stumpy a bit more lively but that has not been the case,I guess that accounts mostly due to the Stumpy's "sloppy" geometry,no matter if you're riding an M5 Comp or a swanky Sworks.
    Noticed the immediate better stiffness and a more precise steering,but other than that nothing my old Black Flags could not to. Uphill performance did not change much except when the better steering kicks in on rocky terrain. But Stumpy's monster wheels eats up everything because it's a Stumpy FSR 29 no matter what kind of wheels you have on. XC uphills are still a torture anyway….

Worth to mention : these wheels can take a beating no question asked. Rocks,drops,scratches and not a single glitch yet. They're still true and I tell you what : scratches give them a more kickass look.
    I don't see myself going back to ALU wheels anymore anyway,no matter if it's XC or trail.
    Devastazione: thank you for the quick and helpful reply. I have a Niner Jet 9 RDO with ZTR Arch EX rims/DT Swiss 240 hubs which may weigh about the same as your former Sun Ringle Black Flag Pros. Tires are all mountain Maxxis Ardent 2.4 EXO front and Specialized Purgatory 2.3 Grid rear due to rocky trails I ride here in Northern CA and around Lake Tahoe. I love almost everything about the bike but looking to drop a little weight and most importantly for quicker straight line acceleration and the more precise steering that you mention would be a nice bonus. Did you find the Rovals to be a lot faster accelerating on the Stumpy? Also I see you have a new Epic - congratulations! Does your new bike have the new 2014 Control SL wheelset that reportedly weighs 1370 grams? If so, do you know what yours actually weigh and is it possible to compare the 2 Roval wheelsets that you have owned or is that impossible as they are on 2 very different bikes? In any case, what do you think of the wheels on your new Epic? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    I use a set of Roval SLs (XC version) on my Niner SS and SJ HT (bead hook version). The set on my SS take a beating, and they have been strong over two full seasons. I broke a spoke on each of the front and rear wheel, but the wheels are still reasonably true. Each time I finished the ride with the broken spoke twisted around another with no issues. I would expect the Roval SL Trail wheelset to have even better durability. Plus, the hubs are so easy to service! Of course, if you are hucking huge jumps and sh$t like that, my review may not apply.
    SpryIP: good to know about the durability of these wheels. Which wheels did you have on these bikes previously and did the Rovals make a dramatic difference in acceleration? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    I put 5400 (hard) miles on my 2013 SL's without a single problem. I did have to replace the bearing at 3400 but that was like $30 bucks.
    irishpitbull: appreciate your feedback. I'm actually looking at the 2014 SL's and the Carbon Control w/o the bead hook. I'm guessing durability is comparable to the 2013s that you have though. I see you have the 2014 S-Works Epic WC, nice! Did you build the bike with the 2013 SL's?

mtbr member
    Did you find the Rovals to be a lot faster accelerating on the Stumpy? Also I see you have a new Epic - congratulations! Does your new bike have the new 2014 Control SL wheelset that reportedly weighs 1370 grams? If so, do you know what yours actually weigh and is it possible to compare the 2 Roval wheelsets that you have owned or is that impossible as they are on 2 very different bikes? In any case, what do you think of the wheels on your new Epic? Thanks.
    No faster acceleration on the Stumpy,sorry. Maybe a better momentum but nothing to lose sleep over it. The Stumpy FSR does a lot of other things but acceleration is a big no no.
    Yes my new Epic comes with Roval Control Carbon but not the SL's,I will eventually add them later on but so far the "basic" ones are excellent wheels and I don't think it's worth to drop all that cash to save a few grams. More stiffness in the SL's maybe ? I don't know,will see,maybe this is a great opportunity to test some other carbon wheels brands ( Enve,Easton...) .
    Impossibile comparison,sorry,the two bikes are absolutely apart. No matter what wheels on what the Epic just need a tiny amount of pedal push to take off with a huge drawback on very gnarly terrain,the Stumpy gets alive on gnarly stuff but gets extremely boring on flats and uphills.
    The ones on my Stumpy are the Trail ones wich should be at 1570 gr,the ones on my Epic are the basic ones at 1580gr. Trails looks a bit "chunckier" to me and spokes are very thin on the Epic's Controls,other than that they look pretty similar,even in the carbon finish.
    I do look after them : I'm ok with dings and scratches but tire pressure on the Stumpy is a 2.5 Bar and 2.2 bar on the Epic. I've had the 2012 Control SL on my 2012 Epic Expert 29 and to me they were better wheels. The "missing tooth" on these 2013/2014 makes them impossible to go tubeless unless you have a compressor. The old blue rim tape was a lot better too.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah I plan to run the 13 SL's till I break them.

irishpitbull: appreciate your feedback. I'm actually looking at the 2014 SL's and the Carbon Control w/o the bead hook. I'm guessing durability is comparable to the 2013s that you have though. I see you have the 2014 S-Works Epic WC, nice! Did you build the bike with the 2013 SL's?
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc