Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Roval Control SL 29 Wheels

I was wondering if anybody on the Specialized forum has had any difficulties with their carbon wheels?

I purchased a new Epic with the upgraded wheels from my LBS back in September.
    The front wheel had a bit of a wobble in it that I noticed on my first ride. After my LBS came to the conclusion that the wheel had extra carbon built up on the one side of the wheel, it was sent to Spec and the hoop was replaced.

No problem, other than the fact that the process took nearly a month.

I get the wheel back, get ready for a ride, then notice this in my back wheel before I even get out of the garage. It looks like the entire sidewall of the wheel has cracked and is coming apart.

The bike has essentially not been touched in a month and has only a couple hundred miles of Boise, buffed single track on it. No drops, no big rocks, no wrecks etc...

I run them around 24-28lbs, tubeless, and with sealant. I weigh a little over 200lbs with gear. I have been told that I am a really smoothe rider and I am typically pretty easy on my equipment.

So, the question is, has anybody else had any problems with the carbon fiber wheels? I know there is not a rider weight limit, but should there be?

I will be stopping by my LBS tomorrow and hopefully get this taken care of in less than a month's time like the front wheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roval Control SL 29 Wheels-new1.jpg  

BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It seems to me that the label SL is not meant for someone of 200 lbs.

mtbr member
    Clean the rim and look around for the seams. The hoop has 4 quarters, so 4 seams look very closely you will find them. Once you find 3 look if this lines up as the 4th, if it does specialized will warranty it no question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g-bike View Post
    It seems to me that the label SL is not meant for someone of 200 lbs.
    Nah, they're fine. I'm over 200 too. No issues on these wheels here. I've had them for about a year now. Haven't been riding them the whole time but I did do quite a bit of riding on them when I first got them.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I can't speak highly enough of the wheels. Very very strong, and have been in true since I bought them. 1,500kms and no issues. Fantastic. I'm 92kg.

just ride
    I also have had no issues with the wheels..... plenty of east coast rock, mud and roots with my 210lb carcass pushing the bike hard..... I will prefess that statement as that I do treat them as race wheels....
    just ride... who cares how big your wheels are

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If they tell you "that'll buff right out," I would be concerned

mtbr member
    I hope these are the shizzle.......I just walked out of the shop with a pair
    "To finish first, you must first finish"

mtbr member
    Well, I stopped by the shop today and my mechanic is not happy. He will be sending them back to Spec to inspect. He is not impressed with them and is sendings his remaing stock of wheels that he carries back to Spec as well.

The sad thing is, I have never had a wheel fail in my entire life until now, not even cheap wheels. I fork out a ton of coin on my nicest wheelset to date and they come out with one defective wheel and the possibility of a second.

My last set of Mavic Crossmax SLR's had thousands of miles on them and I never had to do anything but replace a spoke. I rode those hard in races and even in Moab without issue. These carbon wheels have only been ridden on the Boise dirt sidewalks and have failed miserably.

I hope that Specialied steps up to the plate and does the right thing. So far I have 200 miles and two bad wheels.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I too just purchased a set of Roval Carbon 29 wheels to go on my Epic, The owner at my LBS has a pair that he has been riding hard for the past 8 months, and he can't speak highly enough about them. He sold me the pair per his high recommendation etc. I hope that I didn't make a mistake as I have never shelled out that type of money for a wheel set. Hope Spec does the right thing and has them replaced.

On a side note, I have recently had issues with my Roval SL 26" wheel set. I was running them tubeless and had to grab a handful of brakes coming down a steep smooth decent. The front tire burped air and sealant out and the tire went flat. I placed a tube in the tire, and reinstalled on the fork. When I spun the reinstalled wheel, it had a horrible wobble in it. Thinking I had bent a spoke, I took it into my LBS and they "tried" to true it. They were able to get it pretty close, but it still has a noticeable wobble to it when spun freely in the truing stand. Wondering if anyone else has had issues with the Roval Control SL 26". I was digging on Spec website and I see that Roval Wheels have a limited lifetime warranty. Wonder what they consider to be under warranty vs not?

mtbr member
    Since I really liked these wheels up to the point of havig the recent problems, I would prefer to be riding a working set of Roval's that I didn't have to worry about, but...

As a back-up plan, what would people suggest as a light weight (possibly carbon) wheelset for my Epic?
    BoiseBoy

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy View Post
    I was wondering if anybody on the Specialized forum has had any difficulties with their carbon wheels?

So, the question is, has anybody else had any problems with the carbon fiber wheels? I know there is not a rider weight limit, but should there be?
    According the Specialized website their carbon wheels do have a weight limit of 240lbs (which you're obviously below). But it seems they do acknowledge that the CF has limitations.

I rode a set of the Control Trail SL 29 on a S-works Stumpjumper FSR demo and was pretty blown away by their feel and lightness. At 300lbs BW, I was nervous about breaking them, though. The Specialized tech at the demo was unaware of the weight limit on these wheels, even after I queried him about it. More of that story here.

I hope you can get this sorted out satisfactorily.

mtbr member
    I have had a set of 26 inch wheels since May without a single problem. The set on my new 29er are so far.
    I know of two that have cracked. One was due to a racer buddy of mine trying to bunny hop a rock garden and slamming down right in the point of a mean looking rock. The other cracked wheel was from Conrad Stoltz (a big guy for sure) riding the very same rock garden. I think a aluminum wheel would have had similar damage in both cases.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm suprised no one has commented on his tire pressure at 200 pounds on the rear wheel. I think that is too low pressure at 200 pounds on any wheel. 24-28 PSI IMHO is too low and I wouldn't recomend anything under 30 at 200 pounds. I'm 170, and ride 28-31 in the rear on stans arch.

I've seen several of these wheels broken lately...has anyone seen a broken enve wheel? However, I plan to get some carbon Roval's too.

mtbr member
    I had been getting the same ride characteristics from 24-28psi with these wheels as I had been getting with my 26" Mavic SLR's at 34-38psi.

No pinch flats, no bottoming out, no roll offs.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have had Roval Control SL E5's rebuilt under warranty before 2 years after purchase. So I assume these will get taken care of. My LBS has been steering me away from the carbon Roval and towards an enve build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I weight 215-220 and ride 24 psi in the rear and 22 psi in the front with 1.95 Renegades set up tubeless... tires still feel rock hard. Best wheels I have ever ridden!

mtbr member
    Gonna go give these a rip tomorrow.....
    Weighed in at 1450 with tape and valves only. Compared to my Stan's race at 1381. But I murdered those rims
    Hope these hold up better....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roval Control SL 29 Wheels-dsc03183sm.jpg  

Roval Control SL 29 Wheels-dsc03184sm.jpg  

Roval Control SL 29 Wheels-dsc03185sm.jpg  

Roval Control SL 29 Wheels-dsc03187sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just had my Roval Carbon 29er rear rim replaced. Mine also cracked but not as bad as some of the pictures on this thread. Now looking at purchasing a aluminum set for training and having fun with.

mtbr member
    Why are you guys starting to worry me with all these comments of cracks and replacements
    I got these to replace the Stans I kept trashing this year......Thought carbon would be stronger....

mtbr member
    No worries on the wheels but I would watch out for the Sram XX World Cups (Magnesium).
    I'm on count them brake set number six. Sram just sent out the regular XX brakes and they work great!
    California Custom Sheds Cycling Team, Magura Direct, ESI Grips, Crankbrothers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What problem are you having with the XX World Cups? I have a set, but haven't had any problems yet. Are you talking about the 2011 black versions without the pad adjust?

mtbr member
    Yes 2011 black version. Magnesium and the fluid are having a reaction in the taper bores causing them to fail. The new XX World Cups coming out are being made from Aluminum.
    California Custom Sheds Cycling Team, Magura Direct, ESI Grips, Crankbrothers.

mtbr member
    I tweaked a front rim. Bent the crap out of it. Spesh replaced it no questions asked. (for sale currently). Great rims tho.

mtbr member
    I just heard from my LBS and it appears that Specialized has been having some issues with the wheels delaminating. My wheels will be warrantied.

Thank you for taking care of your customers, Specialized!
    Last edited by BoiseBoy; 12-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    BoiseBoy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast