mtbr member

Roval Control SL 29 - Differences 2012 vs 2013?

Hi, are there technical differences between the superlight roval mtb wheels of modelyears 2012 and 2013? Thanks.

bikerpilot
    I found this, though none of it seems to be mentioned on Specialized's site. Also this shows the price to be $2,100 while the Specialized site says $1,700.

Specialized Unveils Its Best 2013 Bikes - Roval Control Carbon SL29 | Bicycling Magazine
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No bead hooks for 2013. Specialized says you don't need them to hold the tire on. I suppose that may be true for perfectly sized tires -- or tires that fit ridiculously tight -- but at 195 pounds and mildly aggressive, I will not be an early adopter of this idea.

I believe this change reduced the manufacturing complexity, and that prices may have actually dropped relative to the 2012 versions.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    No bead hooks is only for the Marathon wheels, SL's still have hooks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Per Bike Rumor (2013 Specialized Wheels & Tires – Aero & Disc Road, Budget Carbon 29er MTB & More! - Bike Rumor) it looks like that's correct about the SLs keeping the bead hook (thank goodness, IMO).

The "Roval Carbon 29 SL" keeps the bead hook for the time being and the "Roval Carbon 29" goes without the bead hood, weighs about 100 g more, and costs $1,200.

Didn't see anything about "Marathon" wheels, but calling the new ones that would sure provide a little more name differentiation between the two wheelsets.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    How to tell the difference between the 2012 vs 2013 Roval Control SL 29 wheels?

One seller has Control SL's which are in colour carbon/red according to the description on the dealer's website. The picture of the wheels on the website also has black/red wheels with blue rim tape. The Specialized website however says that the colour for the 2013 Control SL 29 is "Satin Carbon Rim/White Wedge".

I enquired the seller about their wheels and according to him the wheels they are selling would be 2013 model and there are no changes between the 2012 and 2013 models anyway. Is this correct info?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member

Roval Control SL 29 - Differences 2012 vs 2013?

There are no changes between both model years. I asked exactly this question a while ago on the Speci support website.

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    they come in both red and white versions.
    i believe the 2013 model has 2013 wider hub flanges and a reusable snap-in tubeless rim strip compared to 2012

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply's S-Worker & pk1! So it seems like there is a little bit conflicting info about the changes between 2012 vs 2013 but the black/red wheels can be 2013 models anyways.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Besides color schemes, there are no differences between the 2012 and 2013 models.
    MCH Co-Captain