Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Roval Control 29 Breaking Spokes

These are the OEM Roval Control 29 on a 2012 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29 HT.

Rear wheel. A drive side spoke broke late last season. The LBS ordered 8 spokes (2 of each length for the wheelset) for which I paid $33 for- no warranty. Since then I have broken another drive side in late March and I just replaced a non-drive side today. 3 spokes replaced so far. Is anyone else experiencing such a failure rate with these wheels? Is there any type of wheel replacement under warranty for so many spokes breaking, or am I SOL? All breaks have occurred at the hub where the spoke is inserted into the flange.
    2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo 2 /// 2000 Ritchey Swiss Cross

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are only two real explanations I can think of:

One is tension that is way loose and nowhere near generally equal and transferring the stress to those spokes.

Two is a rim that's way out of true and those spokes having to be tensioned way above what is normal, thereby causing them to fail when they encounter normal riding stresses.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There are only two real explanations I can think of:

One is tension that is way loose and nowhere near generally equal and transferring the stress to those spokes.

Two is a rim that's way out of true and those spokes having to be tensioned way above what is normal, thereby causing them to fail when they encounter normal riding stresses.

The rim is true and the spoke tension is even. Definitely not too loose. Just keeps popping spokes at the spoke heads- all different spokes.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
    The rim is true and the spoke tension is even. Definitely not too loose. Just keeps popping spokes at the spoke heads- all different spokes.
    3: Bad batch of spokes. Specialized has had that problem before.

But they should be DT SuperComps (straight pull). Never cared for straight pull spokes because of limited availability. $33 is way high for 8 spokes. Could get CX-Rays for that
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just because the rim can be trued/ is true doesn't mean the tension is right. Even if they all feel "tight" doesn't mean it's right. Use a tension-meter or have someone that's built hundreds of wheels look at it.

Even tension doesn't always exist and that's not necessarily bad. A new wheel will have fairly even tension, but if it gets knocked a little out of true, you need to use uneven tension to bring it back. That's normal over the life of a wheel. As long as it's within the design parameters, it will be ok. If you have to tension spokes ABOVE the design parameters to bring it back into true, you may get the thing true, but you'll start breaking spokes most likely. That's why I was suspecting this.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i just popped a head off my control sl's today. was literaly "just riding around". not too rough of a trail (alum creek p2). will be contacting specialized

Quote Originally Posted by dypeterc View Post
    i just popped a head off my control sl's today. was literaly "just riding around". not too rough of a trail (alum creek p2). will be contacting specialized
    Spokes usually break from fatigue, not a single incident, so having it happen while JRA is not abnormal.

I had a nipple break recently climbing out of the saddle on smooth pavement. The wheel is 6 years old and well used so I do not blame my massive power output.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Spokes usually break from fatigue, not a single incident, so having it happen while JRA is not abnormal.

I had a nipple break recently climbing out of the saddle on smooth pavement. The wheel is 6 years old and well used so I do not blame my massive power output.
    My wheelset is only 8 mo old and I'm only 130 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by dypeterc View Post
    My wheelset is only 8 mo old and I'm only 130 lbs
    But the stress that caused the break did not happen just at the moment it failed.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    But the stress that caused the break did not happen just at the moment it failed.
    Understood. I'm just surprised it failed so quickly.

mtbr member
    Is anyone else experiencing such a failure rate with these wheels?
    Yes of course. For my last bike ( Stumpy FSR Elite 2013) I did not even bother,bought a new set of serious wheels even before the bike arrived. I've had a previous experience with a 2011 Stumpy fsr 26 and a 2012 Epic. If there's anything worst than their spokes that would be their hubs. Specialized should usually service them under warranty but I would strongly suggest you to invest in a better set of wheels,there's plenty of choices out there that will perform gazillion times better and won't break the bank.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Yes of course. For my last bike ( Stumpy FSR Elite 2013) I did not even bother,bought a new set of serious wheels even before the bike arrived. I've had a previous experience with a 2011 Stumpy fsr 26 and a 2012 Epic. If there's anything worst than their spokes that would be their hubs. Specialized should usually service them under warranty but I would strongly suggest you to invest in a better set of wheels,there's plenty of choices out there that will perform gazillion times better and won't break the bank.
    +1
    I haven't even ordered my new Stumpy yet and already pricing out Stan's Arch EX's.
    I will use the stock wheel's for back up's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Nothing short of ENVE's are as stiff and light as the Control and Control 29 wheels. When you get to affordability then nothing compares. Sure a broken spoke and a little more maintenance is required but then again you're saving lots of $$$

mtbr member
    I just broke a rear spoke on this wheelset last week. Couldn't find any sign of outright damage on it aside from the clean break. The bad batch of spokes theory may be true.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just called Spec and the warranty on alloy rim wheels is 1 year, so I'm SOL. At least I have more spokes left. It sure does turn me off to purchasing ANY Roval wheels in the future.

mtbr member
    Just called Spec and the warranty on alloy rim wheels is 1 year, so I'm SOL. At least I have more spokes left. It sure does turn me off to purchasing ANY Roval wheels in the future.
    Don't feel like that,Roval makes some excellent wheels when you choose higher specs models. The carbon ones and the M5 Traverse EL are excellent wheels,they come at a good price and when paired up with a DT hub they are very easy to DIY service.
    I've beated the heck out of my old Traverse EL's and they never ran out of true,neither ended up with a broken spoke ever. Just stay away from everything that says "Hi-Lo" hubs and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Don't feel like that,Roval makes some excellent wheels when you choose higher specs models. The carbon ones and the M5 Traverse EL are excellent wheels,they come at a good price and when paired up with a DT hub they are very easy to DIY service.
    BTW, I misread the OP. I'm running the carbon Roval Control Trail SLs, and broke a spoke. I love the wheelset, and spokes can break for a lot of reasons, but I'll keep an eye on this issue. So, it can obviously happen on any wheelset.

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    BTW, I misread the OP. I'm running the carbon Roval Control Trail SLs, and broke a spoke. I love the wheelset, and spokes can break for a lot of reasons, but I'll keep an eye on this issue. So, it can obviously happen on any wheelset.
    Those have fewer and thinner spokes.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Why should there be no warranty for broken spokes?!

waiting for a piece (.45)
    Spokes are generally covered under the "manufacturing defects" which is typically rendered null and void by riding off-road/ lack of "proper" maintenance and any "adjustments" made by un-trained or non-qualified persons or qualified persons not using correct equipment.... basically: not covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think you got maybe a bad wheel or a couple bad spokes. the roval control 29's on my epic expert have been flawless. they are the ones with the dt rear hub and dt spokes. I liked them so much I bought another set for my hardtail. haven't broken a spoke on either set yet. plus they both set tubeless super easy, with four different tires between both sets.

paulca916.
    before you drop your money on a set of stans wheels take another peak at the rovals. i have had a set of stans wheels and they did perform pretty well although a little flimsy in the 26inch version which made me even more skeptical of there 29 inch version. when i bought my roval controls i got the end caps for the 15mm thru, 23mm and 28mm. plus the 142 X12mm thru for the rear and the 135mm endcaps. i believe you have to buy all additional end caps for the stans wheels separately.

the roval wheels also come with dt swiss rws skewers which are awesome. the ones you get with the stans wheels didn't even have a name on them and felt really low end with a not so positive clamping feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    Spokes are generally covered under the "manufacturing defects" which is typically rendered null and void by riding off-road/ lack of "proper" maintenance and any "adjustments" made by un-trained or non-qualified persons or qualified persons not using correct equipment.... basically: not covered under warranty.
    Aha, I understand. You have to bring the evidence that it was a manufacturing defect, otherwise no warranty. Funny.
    If you go to your specialized dealer it should be clear that this person is able to fullfil the needs of the customer and the warranty conditions under he has to replace the spokes and ask to get he money back from Specialized - so far the theory...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My spoke broke right at the head which indicates a manufacturing defect. I can see if the spoke was bent or broken between the head and the nipple thread then it's on the owner.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post

paulca916.
    before you drop your money on a set of stans wheels take another peak at the rovals. i have had a set of stans wheels and they did perform pretty well although a little flimsy in the 26inch version which made me even more skeptical of there 29 inch version. when i bought my roval controls i got the end caps for the 15mm thru, 23mm and 28mm. plus the 142 X12mm thru for the rear and the 135mm endcaps. i believe you have to buy all additional end caps for the stans wheels separately.

the roval wheels also come with dt swiss rws skewers which are awesome. the ones you get with the stans wheels didn't even have a name on them and felt really low end with a not so positive clamping feel.
    Just talked to Specialized yesterday about getting Roval Carbon hoops only since I want to use Industry Nine Torch hub's (120 Pt engagement compared to 36 pt).
    My LBS is calling to get me price's this coming week if the price is to crazy I will go with Light Bicycle Carbon hoops and see how they last.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

waiting for a piece (.45)
    A broken spoke at the head indicates over-stressed spoke due to forces being applied... impact forces from having the spoke too loose or tension forces due to over-tightening.... not a defect in manufacturing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast