mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Rounded out Headtube?? What do i do now???

My headset apparently rounded out the headtube on my 2005 S-Works Stumpjumper What do i do now??
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wow. What kind of headset and how does that happen? Was it installed by the factory/bikeshop?

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Curler
    My headset apparently rounded out the headtube on my 2005 S-Works Stumpjumper What do i do now??
    you get mad and wish you were back to your square headtube?
    was this a Kris Kirngle headseat?

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

have a beer

and hope it is found to be a warranty issue
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Its an Aheadset by Cane Creek. Installed professionally at a bike shop...... There saying i might have to buy a new frame.......this is such ********....is there anyway to get a headset in there?
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    wait the shop installed it and they told you YOU would have to buy a new frame?

No friggin way! Talk to the owner of the shop immediately. If everything is as they say, you did nothing wrong, its theirs or specialized's fault. The frame is under warrantee right? And yes if the headset tube is ovalized or too big now you pretty much can't put a headset in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How long has the headset been in the frame? Even if the shop installed it, a headset is not guaranteed to stay tight, and if ridden (even one ride) while loose, it can cause said damage.

This is not a manuafacturer's defect or warranty issue, unless it is a freaky situation of wrongfully manufactured aluminum alloy, or possibly a heat treating gone bad, that caused it to be weaker.

In my experience, riders using a bike with a loose headset causes 99.9% of all ovalized head tubes.

Go back to the shop and talk to them rationally and try to keep your emotions calm but assertive.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I just found out I have the same damn problem! Had a Chris King HS installed last year to replace a CC S5 that died a premature death on my 05 S-Works SJ120. HS installed by the shop and they see the bike every couple of weeks for various issues, etc.

My guys are taking it up with Specialized, but I've been told they don't like to do warranty replacements on ovalized HT. Something about normal wear and tear .

I'm a little annoyed at this point because the bike is only 2 years old and is a 5 inch travel bike. It should be able to handle, less than 3', drops and rock infested trails like the ones we have around here.

After just having bought a road bike to train on, the wife is not going to be down with a new frame purchase

Waiting...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Heh

Quote Originally Posted by punga
    I just found out I have the same damn problem! Had a Chris King HS installed last year to replace a CC S5 that died a premature death on my 05 S-Works SJ120. HS installed by the shop and they see the bike every couple of weeks for various issues, etc.

My guys are taking it up with Specialized, but I've been told they don't like to do warranty replacements on ovalized HT. Something about normal wear and tear .

I'm a little annoyed at this point because the bike is only 2 years old and is a 5 inch travel bike. It should be able to handle, less than 3', drops and rock infested trails like the ones we have around here.

After just having bought a road bike to train on, the wife is not going to be down with a new frame purchase

Waiting...

Should have gotten a Turner

Edit: From what I remember reading on here Specialized actually bores the HT area out slightly more than the industry standard. It's apparently common for CK headsets (and possibly others) to cause issues since they are assuming a tighter fit.

Dave
    Last edited by MightySchmoePong; 04-12-2007 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Should have gotten a Turner

Edit: From what I remember reading on here Specialized actually bores the HT area out slightly more than the industry standard. It's apparently common for CK headsets (and possibly others) to cause issues since they are assuming a tighter fit.

Dave
    Thanks, thats helpful. :\

mtbr member
    I've measured several 2006 Stumpjumper head tubes and found them to be out of round right from the production line. Probably from tension brought on by welding the tube to the frame. These are new frames that have not been reamed or seen a headset installed yet.

They vary from .002" to .004", which doesn't seem like much but may be the start of a problem if not reamed true. It's possible that some builders leave these frames slightly out of round to avoid oversizing and having to buy new oversize cups to match.

What I don't understand is where the Chris King headset connection comes in (mentioned in other threads) since they tend to hold good tolerances. On the plus side, King offers oversize cups.