mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Rode epic wc, tallboy c and scalpel

The epic simply blew the others out of the water. I went into it wanting tho tallboy for more comfort for long endurance races but it wasn't to be. The tallboy felt big and heavy and the scalpel felt sort of fragile or buzy.
    The epic felt solid smooth and incredible. Definitely the sports car of the bunch but I found the ride to be smooth.

The epic expert carbon World Cup in black is gorgeous. I have seen some pics posted of the black on red and they do not do it justice. I am leaning towards the normal expert for more comfort. I am undecided as to 10x2 or 1x11.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of getting a new Epic also. I love the gloss red color on the Expert, but may go with the World Cup model because I want the supposedly quicker handling and the 1 X 11.
    Decisions,decisions........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I am undecided as to 10x2 or 1x11.
    If you're looking at a WC, you can't make it the former. Unless you're strictly referring to the "normal Expert."

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    The epic simply blew the others out of the water. I went into it wanting tho tallboy for more comfort for long endurance races but it wasn't to be. The tallboy felt big and heavy and the scalpel felt sort of fragile or buzy.
    The epic felt solid smooth and incredible. Definitely the sports car of the bunch but I found the ride to be smooth.

The epic expert carbon World Cup in black is gorgeous. I have seen some pics posted of the black on red and they do not do it justice. I am leaning towards the normal expert for more comfort. I am undecided as to 10x2 or 1x11.
    So then you decided to start a circle-jerk in the Specialized forum?
    Blur LT & Highball

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    dude, 1x11 is really really great. i haven't talked to anyone who regrets the switch. unless you ride your mtb on the road a lot, its perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's all about the Epic WC. A 21lb fire-breathing XC monster.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I would be careful Donn12. I retrofitted the whole XX1 Grupo to my 2012 Sworks epic size large and found that I had to go with the smallest 28 tooth chain ring. That fit my crank, but you must make sure it would fit if you need it.
    It is still geared a bit higher than I prefer. My old set up had replaced the 24t small chainring for a 22 tooth from my old pivot Mach 5. It lined up and fit perfectly. I was quite happy with that. We have very steep, long climbs, so I wish I had that small gear back again. If you're strong rider you may not need it. Best to try it out on your terrain first if possible.
    If I had to do it all over again, I still would do it since I love the simplicity of this set up, and dumps a significant amount of weight from your bike.