mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Hope Rockhopper - Is weight an issue?

I'm extremely interested in picking up an '08 Rockhopper Comp Disc. However, I weight about 240 lbs (part of why I'm getting into biking ) and my other option I'm considering is the Kona Hoss, made for clydesdales. Should I be worried about having to upgrade the Rockhopper's wheels, or will it be an issue at all?

for three!
    Mar 2008
    ehh i wouldn't worry about it. Even at 240 pounds i think that kona hoss is overkill. The frame is as thick as molasses and it's just unnecessary for what you're looking for (been reading your other thread). You won't break the m4 frame on that rockhopper without doing something extremely drastic, it's a strong frame. The wheels should hold up just fine too. Not to mention i can't imagine how much lighter the rockhopper is over the kona. I was 235 pounds when i had my 2008 rockhopper and it seemed to handle my weight with ease, and i rode it hard.

local trails rider
    Just check that the fork is adjustable for your weight.

Alien Surf Team
    I weigh 190 and push my 08 Rockhopper Disc well beyond it's limits with jumps, drops, etc and it's still good for the past year. But does doing moderate hits @ 190 equal XC @ 240? Dunno.

Moooo!!!
    Aug 2008
    I weigh over 250 and I beat my Rockhopper hard. I haven't had asingle issue yet and I am a rough rider.

Get busy!!
    My riding partner was 220 and his M4 has served him well. You may stress the breaks a little but that also depends on how you ride. I believe they come with BB5s. I am actually upgrading his BB5s to Juicy 7s in the morning. If the fork on the Comp is still the dart3 you may need to replace that after a year or so. He also just upgraded his fork to a Recon after blowing out the Dart. That took a year of hard riding tho so you should be good for a little while again depending on the way you ride.

You may want to just spring for the pro, its only a little more and comes with a brake setup and fork with a little more beef than the comp has. Plus the paint is always nice on the pro series.
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i had a 07 RH Comp Disc..

I weigh 240.. it was fine.. i beat the hell out of it. never an issue, short of adjustments.