mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Rockhopper w/ Nimbus Armadillos?

I have a 2010 Rockhopper. Lately, I've been using it more for street riding than trail riding. I am riding it with the stock Spec Fast Trak LKs that came on it. Would I benefit from putting a set of Nimbus' on it?

I would also be open to any other tire suggestions. I've also thought about the Maxxis Hookworms. Does anyone have experience with those?

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I used the nimbus armadillos for years. Great tyres and I never encountered a puncture with them. I can wholeheartedly recommend them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG
    I used the nimbus armadillos for years. Great tyres and I never encountered a puncture with them. I can wholeheartedly recommend them.
    Thanks for the response. How is the ride?

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zooyuka
    Thanks for the response. How is the ride?
    They're nowhere near as unforgiving as a proper road bike tyre (i.e. a 700c x 23c). They are quite versatile. I wouldn't want to use them on proper off road terrain, but they're fine on tame all weather trails (what I would describe as "sustrans" trails in the UK, ex railway lines, etc). They roll much faster than knobblies due to the lack of rolling resistance. They also behaved themselves in the wet (on white lines, wet manhole coveres, etc).

As good as they are, they obviously won't turn a mountain bike into a road bike, so don't expect miracles

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG
    They're nowhere near as unforgiving as a proper road bike tyre (i.e. a 700c x 23c). They are quite versatile. I wouldn't want to use them on proper off road terrain, but they're fine on tame all weather trails (what I would describe as "sustrans" trails in the UK, ex railway lines, etc). They roll much faster than knobblies due to the lack of rolling resistance. They also behaved themselves in the wet (on white lines, wet manhole coveres, etc).

As good as they are, they obviously won't turn a mountain bike into a road bike, so don't expect miracles
    Thats kind of what I was expecting. I understand it will never be a road bike. I am just looking for something a little more pavement friendly. I just want an extra pair of tires to switch between when I am unable to hit the trails.

Do you know the difference between the Armadillo's and the regular Nimbus and the sport model?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi,
    I use the Nimbus Armadillo on my commuter (Spec Tricross SS). I started using them this winter and all I can say is that they are phenomenal...considering how many flats I was getting before installing these.I have about 7000 miles on them and not one flat. Now, to answer your question: armadillo is the secret, it's what makes these tires so strong. Bassically, any tire using the armadillo technology will be very tough. I ride NYC and trust me, their price is well worth it. However, I wouldn't take them on any Mtb trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    great tire if u dont care for: weight and grip. They're like a rock and weigh about the same.

they're a lot smoother than other "slick" tires for mtb, and they're skinny. Good if you're going to do some city curb hopping