mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Rockhopper vs Hardrock

Where I am currently located (Curacao, South America), there is a Specialized dealer. I'm not sold on Specialized specifically, but at this location it's the best option for getting a bike at a decent price without spending a ton on shipping...
    The dealer rents out Rockhoppers, and every couple years will sell off the rentals when they replenish with new stock.

So what I am looking at is an option of purchasing a never before used 2012 Hardrock, or a 2011 used rental Rockhopper (They are well taken care of). Both bikes would be approx the same price.
    If you were choosing between the 2, which would you think about more? What are the pros and cons between the 2? What makes one better then the other?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh, I should add, the Rockhopper I believe is a 29er. I haven't ridden a 29er yet, but would rent one and take it for a test ride before I actually purchased. The Hardrock would be the 26" disc. The owner said he could cut me a deal on it, because he can't move 26s right now since everyone is into the 29ers.

I am just looking for rider's knowledge on both bikes with this thread, as part of my research into the 2 bikes.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The recent Rockhoppers, up till this years model, had been coming with M4 alloy frames, which is better than the A1 alloy the Hardrocks come in...

I'd never go back to a 26"er after owning a few 29"ers.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper rockhopper

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    been actually deciding between these two bikes myself and im leaning towards the rockhopper personally

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Both are good bikes. The spec on the Rockhopper is likely to be better though. It depends if you prefer your money to go on a new bike or a used bike.

Also, what riding will you be doing on it?

Can you hire one of the Rockhoppers and see how you llike it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dee, I will rent one of the Rockhoppers and take it out before I make my final decision. It will be mostly for mtn trails.

I talked a bit more to one of the guys in the shop about the 2. I am definitely leaning towards the Rockhopper since both should be about the same price. One of the nice things he pointed out was that all their Rockhopper rentals are already set with tubeless tires. I could care less if the bike is used or not, as long as it is in good working shape when I buy it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Cool. I don't think you'll regret either bike. I have been mtbing a long time and never owned a Spesh. I then bought one as my first road bike, after a friend recommended the brand due to their high quality and good warranty.

I haven't looked back since.

Enjoy your new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ive got a Rockhopper 2012 expert that was too used for rentals... but here in Spain... on the Santiago route which is a hell of a lot of mileage. I got a really good deal on her and I have to say that I really like her a great deal.. she is a bit heavy. There are quite a few scratches on her which really annoyed me as I am anal about that kind of thing.. but all in all she is a great bike and definitely a great option.