mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Rockhopper tires..Crap?

Do you run the factory tires on your Rockhoppers?

mtbr member
    Do you have a 2008 model, with the Fast Trak tires? I can see where you might or might not like those, depending upon the terrain that you ride. I like them myself, but I'm not sure that I'd consider them an "all-around" tire. What specific problems are you having?

Edit: One application for which I like Fast Trak tires is on my bikes that I ride mainly on pavement, but sometimes on dirt. The Fast Traks seem to roll well on pavement, and they are also up to some light trail-riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's actually the 09 Rockhopper. And yes, it has the Fast Track tires. I'm riding packed dirt and some sand. I don't feel very confident when I hit corners. Most for the trails have pine needles on them and I feel like I may slip on them. I guess I'm not really confident on these tires because I see other bikes with deeper tread. Make sense?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah I got my gf a Rock Hopper (2008) this past weekend and we used the $80 in specialized money to get the stock tires swapped out for a F/R set of Velociraptors. The bike shop let us get them even though they aren't a Spech product.

The trails that we ride around here where I live have lots of pine-needles, the stock tires didnt look like they would handle them too well. My gf is new to riding, and the last thing I want to happen is her slipping off the trail because of the tires not being aggressive enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    AH.. Okay. Sounds like the thought process that I need to pursue here. I'll check out those tires. Thanks for the info

Alien Surf Team
    I like them for riding recreational XC with my kids but on fast downhills with off camber turns they can be outright frightening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Never had a problem with them in any conditions except on icy pavement. They don't grip as well in the corners as 2.5 Maxxis Minion DH Super Tacky's but then they don't weigh nearly as much and roll twice as fast. The smaller angles knobbles grip well especially on hardpack dirt where a larger tyre just gets bogged down.

mtbr member
    My new Epic came with the Fast Trak's. I planned on replacing them asap when I bought the bike. After my first trail ride on em though I changed my mind. I find them to be extremely grippy for such a fast rolling tire. Sand, harpack, loose stuff, etc they just handle awesome imo. For a new rider I would recommend something like a Panaracer Fire or Specialized Resolution maybe, but I love the Fast Trak's.
    07 Specialized Epic Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ran my stock 07 rear tire til it was down to nothing and I am still running my front tire. My trail conditions are not muddy or really loose stuff, mostly hardpack so the tires work pretty well for me.

Maybe I'll buy all your tires when mine is all used up!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm running fast trak 29ers on my rockhopper, and they're doing fine. As others have said, they really like hardpack. But you do have to run just the right tire pressure. I don't carry a gauge with me so I don't have numbers, but if it's too low, the tire gets real squirrely in turns. And if it's too high, you spin out on the climbs.

Yeah that's normal for most tires, but on the fast trak, you don't have much wiggle room. It has to be just right.
    Last edited by detours; 07-17-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    I love my FastTraks LK Pro here in Florida. They work great on hardpacked (5/5) and tree$hit covered (5/5) trails. When it comes to sand, it works OK (3/5). Roots wet or dry (4/5).

However, now that it is getting muddy and wet I'm looking to upgrade to either the Captain or the Continental Speed King or Mountain King. But I can't find them for less than $50 bucks. (I'm looking for the 180ply)
    Last edited by daleksic; 07-27-2008 at 05:05 PM.