mtbr member
    Feb 2008

rockhopper pro vs rockhopper comp disc

Hi,

Im planning to buy one of these bikes. The 08' versions.

But which one is the best buy? is the pro version worth the extra 150euro?

mtbr member
    you're getting a better fork, and hydro disc brakes from what im aware of. i assume a better rd and maybe shifters.

mtbr member
    ok, so, you're getting sram over shimano shifting (pref. you might want to try both), the new deore outboard bearing crankset (stiffer, newer tech), and supposedly a better fork with the same adjustments. and of course the hydros brakes, the juicy 3s are the same as the 5 & 7s without the lever adjustment and one peice caliper (heavier). if you can swing it and like the color, go for the pro. id never heard of anyone overbuying, and i hear all the time of people underbuying...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i was looking at both of these bikes and basically the deciding factor for me honestly was the color. the burnt orange pro disc looks just absolutley sick and i had to have it once i saw it

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw81785
    i was looking at both of these bikes and basically the deciding factor for me honestly was the color. the burnt orange pro disc looks just absolutley sick and i had to have it once i saw it
    How's it ride now you've got it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    havent really given it a go yet....its still 30 degrees out. next week friday my and my buddy are gonna take a trip to rays indoor mtb park and ill be able to give it a review then

mtbr member

... and if we just ... I upgraded the brakes

on my Comp disc to Juicy 7's, and it already costs more than the pro. I did not think that hydros were that much better than mechanical brakes until I had done a lot of riding. The automatic pad adjustment, and lever adjustments make them worth the extra money. I am also thinking of ditching the Tora 302 for a Reba (US version does not come with Recon fork). All said and done, I will be putting out much more when it is all done than just buying the Pro.

I will say that I do not have any complaints with the bike as it is. The mechanical brakes work great, and so does the fork. Shifting is also very good IMO, so I am not replacing shifter/deraileurs until the existing ones wear out. However, after riding on an air shock, I realized the range of adjustabilit if far greater than on the spring shock (at least the Tora 302 SL). Also, as mentioned above the same goes for the brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    These are the 2 bikes that I've been interested as well just didn't really know if the extra $$ on the pro really is the better purchase.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anyone with pics of their Burnt Orange Rockhopper Pro? I think it looks sweet as well.