mtbr member
    May 2013

Rockhopper pro Evo

Does anyone have it yet ? Any opinions ?
    i bit the bullet and traded my 2013 hardrock sport disk 29er for the new pro evo !
    should get it this weekend and ride it ! I'll post pics and my personal opinion

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Special ordered one for a guy a week or so ago at the shop I work for. For the price it seems to be an awesome bike. Quite a drastic improvement over the Hard Rocks and the lower end Rockhoppers. Color scheme is pretty sweet, as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I guess I'm confused... the Crave 29 is exactly the same price, has very similar components, and a lighter frame. Why not just get the Crave?

For a while the "Rockhopper Pro" had the lighter M4 frame, but then they basically took the M4 Rockhoppers and rebranded them as Carve (now Crave).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The bikes are pretty different, actually. The Rockhopper Pro Evo has more slack geometry, 120mm travel, a 15mm thru axle fork, a bash guard on the crankset, and slightly beefier parts than the Crave.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's the same fork so I think you can pretty easily modify the Crave fork to 120mm, though you have a good point about the other things.

mtbr member
    How would you go about modifying the 100mm Crave fork to 120mm?
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

Crash Dummy In Training
    I've heard you take out two spacer's ?
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    May 2013
    +1 on geo.
    The crave feels really good and is a tad lighter, but the geo on the pro evo feels better for my style (total noob) I prefer trails and dont think ill be racing anytime soon.
    the slack geo feels dialed and the overall feel gives me the sensation of being in the bike rather than on it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    First ride 12 mile run in the snowhill/ little Econ trail in central Florida .
    All I can say is dialed ! The bike is way above my previous bike ! Everything from the shorter chainstays to the xc32 solo air fork to the slack geo, 2x10 drivetrain And lighter weight ! Wow it is totally different and easier to ride harder in the trail ! I love it !
    I am so surprised on how much better a true suspension fork is compared to the base suntour xc on the hardrock.
    So far only changes have been ditched the front 2.1 sport GC for a 2.2 captain armadillo and candy clipless pedals.
    Planing on adding some choice components in the future mainly to lighten the bike up a little more.
    Ohh and props to my LBS, when the bike arrived and they built it they noticed the sunrace cassette was defective and quickly contacted spec.
    And the covered the cost through the LBS to upgrade to a SRAM cassette !
    Sweet ! All I know is that rear cassette and SRAM X7 type 2rear derauiler is smooth !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rockhopper pro Evo-image.jpg