mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Rockhopper Opinions/Feedback

In the market to buy a new Rockhopper. LBS is selling these 2013s for MSRP. No moving on cost. Do you think it's worth the extra $$ to go up a model and if so, will I be upgrading components shortly?

Specialized Rockhopper 29--$880
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29--$1100
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 29--$1300

Any feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've read the comments on Specializeds side but I'd like some more from here.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have owned the Rockhopper Comp 29er for about 3 months now and love it on all fronts besides stock part durabillity. I tested both the the regualar rockhopper and the comp along with others and found the fork to be definitely worth the price difference. But I am a very hard rider apparently for being 6' 2" 200lbs and I twisted up the front rim pretty bad just recently and broke both pedals within a month, also had slight chain issues and bent my chain ring after 2 months. But as far as derailleurs go they shift great everytime and handle my bad shifts like I shifted on time along with actually handling the beating I give; and the hydraulic disk brakes stop on a dime no matter what my speed; along with feel of the actual frame weight/balance and the comfort of the spacing gives an overall ride I am in love with for the price especially compared to most other bikes of similar parts/prices. I had full intention to upgrade parts overtime but not this soon is my only issue. And this is my second bike being my first was a 2013 Diamonback Response, and the local Retailer really let me have it on that one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank you for the reply Rambunctio.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the 13 comp as well. Not bad, I put maybe 500 miles on it from last season to when I bought a Carve Pro early this season. The comp needed a new seat bad and sometimes had issues shifting. Other than that its solid. If the RH pro is 2x10 I would go that route. The Carve is 2x10 and shifts much better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I picked up a 2014 Rockhopper Comp recently and I love it! Its 2x10 so you might want to check out the 2014's. Specialized Bicycle Components