mtbr member

RockHopper, HardRock VS ???

Hey Guys,

I got an 05 Hardrock Sport, its not had much use but now i want to start going out more and get into MTB and XC riding, I didnt know weather to start a fresh with a new bike or use my 05 and upgrade a few components as i go.

I went to look at the new Hardrock and Rockhopper today and was wondering what else was out there equivalent to the Specialized Hardtaills, what would be your first or second choices if these two were unavailable?

cougarbait
    demo 8 II, S-works epic
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    demo 8 II, S-works epic

No I meant what hardtails would people chose for the same money (non specialized).

mtbr member
    Are you looking at the higher end Rockhoppers?

If you are finding that you are really liking mountain biking I would recommend you spend somewhere between 1000 to 1500 on a bike if you can afford it.

Here are a few bikes that I like at that price range:

Flash 3 $1389
    Trail SL 29er $1069
    Fisher X-Caliber $1539
    Fisher Cobia $1099
    Trek 6500 $1699
    Trek 6000 $989

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_uk
    No I meant what hardtails would people chose for the same money (non specialized).
    something used
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Cheers for that John.

Some nice bikes there, I would be looking at either a high end Rockhopper or simular.

Am I right in thinking that if i was spending 1000 and I was looking at any of the big brands, ie specialized, kona, cannondale, trek etc I am gonna get a decent bike for my money? Or are there better bikes out there that i am overlooking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    something used

Isn't buying a used bike, even one "sightly used" a gamble? Plus you have no idea how heavy the people who rode the bike were and how hard the bike was ridden. I was at first looking at used bikes but brand new from the box seems like the way to go.

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylor
    Isn't buying a used bike, even one "sightly used" a gamble? Plus you have no idea how heavy the people who rode the bike were and how hard the bike was ridden. I was at first looking at used bikes but brand new from the box seems like the way to go.
    There is always a gamble no matter what you buy used, but if you shop smart you can lower the risk of buying used you can save alot of money over a new bike and have money left over for upgrades. Like it's not much different than buying a used car.
    Specialized 05 FSR XC Comp: Modded
    Specialized 08 FSR XC Comp: OEM
    Cannondale M700: In pieces

mtbr member
    The only problem w/ used for me is that most frame warranties only apply to the original owner.

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john
    The only problem w/ used for me is that most frame warranties only apply to the original owner.
    Yeah, I have the Recipt for the 08 FSR XC even though it was used, and i registered my 05 FSR XC with Specialized, i hope they cover them if they break, but if not, i paid less than half of what the bike shop sells a new one for, so i still did pretty good. I have of dealers warrentying used frames through spesh, but i suppose that would be each individual shops decision.
    Specialized 05 FSR XC Comp: Modded
    Specialized 08 FSR XC Comp: OEM
    Cannondale M700: In pieces

mtbr member
    Really struggling now, think i am gonna get a new bike in the next week or so, I had pretty much decided on a Rockhopper just not which one, but then I went to local XC trail today and in the bike shop there they had the two Treks pictured above (6500 and 6000) both look amazing in the flesh and feel nice to sit on, and have some nice components!

You can guess my dilemma now, surely other RH owners must have come up against these models, what made you still chose your RH?

trail addict
    I hate to say this on the spec forum, but those trek hardtails look to be the best buy dollar for dollar for the last couple years.

But to the OP: If you have a bike, just go ride... your 05 hardrock sport probably just needs some adjustments/lube/tlc to get it ready to ride.... worry about how nice it is later. BTW, I like the older HR frames WAY batter than the new ones... so don't give up on that 05!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The Hardrocks and Rockhoppers have just about the same geometries... You'd be getting a slightly lighter frame and slightly better components. You'd be better off getting better components for the Hardrock than buying a new Rockhopper at this point. Starting from scratch is another story, but you can use that money wiser at this point.

I don't know anything about the Treks, maybe there's a significant difference there?

mtbr member
    Yes I was gonna keep my 05 and upgrade, but the first thing I wanted to do was put some disc brakes on it, but since its only got V’s I would need to change the wheels and tyres, and thought it would end up costing to much and I may as well just get a new bike!

Are there any wheels and tyres out there better that stock but not ridiculously expensive? I kind of like the stock wheels and tyres as they are pretty fat!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    They're(wheels) pretty noodly IMO. Its one of the weakest links in the Rockhoppers and Hardrocks.