mtbr member
    May 2012

Rockhopper grips

Ok is it me or the stock grips really bite on the 2012 rockhopper ( those ergo grips bite), I was looking at the ODI grips, but cannot find what the correct grip size i need for the stock bars...

I already know I want and like the ODI lock on grips, since I have them on my jet-skis and they rock

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey c'mon I need a close up photo of the grips!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here you go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rockhopper grips-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Grip diameter is always the same. Depending on grip manufacturer, they may specify outer diameter depending on hand size.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    YIKES!! oh MAN that looks awfully uncomfortable. And like something that will get soft and annoying as they break in and loosen up over time... I had a set of grips with a similar 'tread' pattern too, they lasted One ride b4 they got chucked...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What do you mean by grip size? Are you talking about diameter, or width of the actual grip? The ODI grips will fit your stock bars just fine. Just don't get grips that are made to work with grip shifts, if you don't have them, as they are not as wide as normal grips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have Ergon GP1's. on my 09 Rockhopper
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was talking about length, I assumed dia, was pretty standard, yeah those grip area very uncomfortable, my hands keep going numb.... I will

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ted i took a look at your link , not knocking your choice at all wahtever works for you but i found it funny, they say normal round grips cause hands to go numb and that is the issue i am having with the Specialized "ergo" grips my hands go numb...

I am going to get the ODI Rogue lock on grips, they work awesome on my two jet-skis; if they can take the abuse of saltwater and have a great grip wet , then that is enough test for me .................

Thanks for everyones help

mtbr member
    I always prefer simple grips that let me "feel" the trail more...or that reason I've gone away from mountain bike grips and just use a triple density foam tape wrap that roadies wrap their bars with. I use the Spesh Roubaix tape alone on my 06 Epic comp....I use the same Roubaix tape over the handlebar gel inserts (once again from the roadie section at your LBS) on my 11 Stumpy and they both work better than any mtb grip I've ever used. Just remember to wrap from the outside in.
    2011 Specialized Allez Double
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    fwit, hands going numb can also be a number of geometry factors, cockpit/top tube length, bar height, stem length, seat height, how low and slung out you are vs. sitting high and more upright, how plush you have the fork settings, etc,... I remember changing my flat bars to a set of riser bars back in the day and my toxic numbness that scared the crap out me in my hands all but went away.... My point is may not simply be the grips ONLY, make sure your angles/geometry is set up correctly and be willing to make changes to the cockpit, the longer you tuff it out and ride numb the worse it gets, dont let parts/spec get in the way of an awesome ride experience.... my .02

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Hand numbness likely signifies an ulnar neuroma, a problem caused by putting too much pressure on the ulnar nerve complex near the outside heels of your palms. It can be a serious issue that can actually damage the nerve and cause severe reductions in forefinger and thumb strength. I am working through the same problem. You most likely need a cockpit and/or core body adjustment to avoid putting so much pressure on your hands. Ergon grips help for many, although they haven't worked for me (yet; I am still trying to find the right positioning). I am trying ODI Rogue grips now.

And yes, all grips are the same inner diameter, so you can pick whichever ones are the most comfortable for you.