mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Rockhopper Expert 29er Upgrades

I'm getting a 2010 Rockhopper Expert 29er. I've heard that the Dart 3 aren't very good for trails, racing, and cold weather. My lbs is offering a gently used Fox F80 RL fork for $100, unstead of $600 brand new. He was also going to upgrade shifters and deraileurs to x-7's instead of the x-5's that are stock for free. I am doing racing, but still do riding on singletrack that isn't racing. Should I pay for x-9's or jsut see how the x-7's work.
    The brakes seem pretty good too, so is there anything else that I should upgrade right away?

Religion = Non-thinking
    i'd def take him up on that fox fork, but make sure he backs up his used parts w/ at least 1 year warranty/service. I dont think theres much jump between 5/7. Theres more between 7/9 so maybe a $30 upgrade from the 5-9 in RD is worth it. about $60-80 for the shifters from 5-9.
    RH SL Pro

The Other Dude
    Yeah, take him up on that fork upgrade for sure! Those bikes are great, and I am running those brakes right now on my Rockhopper SS 29er, i havent had any issues with them. It would be nice to get you shifters/RD upgraded to X9. The X7's are nice, but the x9's are great.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm going to go there tomorrow and talk about some sort of warranty on the fork and about the upgrades.

Members who have read this thread: 0