mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er

Looking to get one of these beasts. This will be my first non-Walmart bike. I rode it around at my LBS today, along with the Expert version of the same bike, and an Expert 26er. I also rode a Hardrock, but I got on the 29er Rockhopper and it just felt right.
    The green color is a bit over the top for me, though.

I'm 6'2", but the XL frames felt too big.

Going to be riding XC, but I am just getting into it, so this will be the bike I will be learning to ride on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey, I just ordered one of those in brown and black, I got the XL. It will be coming in about a week. I thought the green was to much as well. I really like the bronw and black. From what I have heard it is a great entry level bike

mtbr member
    I bought one last summer and love it. I am 6'2" and got the XL frame and it is just right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'll see when I go back if they have any XL Rockhoppers. The only XLs I rode were a Hardrock and a Giant Yukon, but they both felt too big.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well I am 6'4- 6'5. And It felt good. I had plenty of standover room. I wasnt even close. Being 6'2 I think you would be more than fine with the XL

MTB skillz = NADA
    Pay the extra $$$ and upgrade to the Expert...it comes in black and looks oh so sweet in my garage waiting to hit the trails this weekend.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard Pirate
    Pay the extra $$$ and upgrade to the Expert...it comes in black and looks oh so sweet in my garage waiting to hit the trails this weekend.
    I rode them both and liked the feel of the cable brakes better. Plus the Expert is a just out of my price range. I can pick up the Comp for $675 from my LBS. The Comp comes in black, going to check and see if they have one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Motor_head,

Fine beginner's bike! Can't go wrong with a Rockhopper. The beauty is this - it has a solid frame and as you get better you can upgrade the components as you wish.

Enjoy the ride!

Rob

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2 and ride a 21 inch frame of the rockhopper comp disk (26")

gravity fighter
    For what it's worth;
    I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and ride the 21" with a shorter stem. Fits like a glove and handles really well (for me) with this set up. The 19" felt ok too, but I had two different fitters at two different shops tell me to go with the 21" without hesitation.
    So far it's been a great bike!

mtbr member
    I really like yours in black...mine is the army green color and it is not too bad but I would have preferred a different color. Green was all my LBS had and I did not want to wait for them to order something.

Just wondering...what size stem did you go with? I do sometimes feel like I am too far forward and have a tendency to go OTH so i was thinking about going shorter to move me back a little in the cockpit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Decided to scale my price range back on a sport I am just getting into. Went with a Giant Yukon instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor_head
    Decided to scale my price range back on a sport I am just getting into. Went with a Giant Yukon instead.
    What?? The sacrilege!

Just kidding. The Yukon is actually a nice bike, and a good value for the money. Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor_head
    You probably got a better bang for your buck going that route.

Enjoy your new ride!

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    I really like yours in black...mine is the army green color and it is not too bad but I would have preferred a different color. Green was all my LBS had and I did not want to wait for them to order something.

Just wondering...what size stem did you go with? I do sometimes feel like I am too far forward and have a tendency to go OTH so i was thinking about going shorter to move me back a little in the cockpit.

The one thing about the black is that it shows every speck of dirt and mud, so if your a "clean bike" kind of guy, it's very high maintenance. I just clean my drive train and keep it a nice shade of muddy brown this time of year

The stem is a 50 and made a big difference for me. I've had a much easier time clearing some steeper sections now that I can get my weight back a little more.