mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Rockhopper or for all-mountain?

Is the frame and geometry suitable for steep descents with lots of rocks and mud? No jumps/drops bigger than 2-3 feet. Would the Hardrock (bigger frame) be better?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What about the P series All mountain bike? Thanks.

Do it
    I own an '08 RockHopper Pro Disc and love it for going up hill. Going down is not a problem, but it just doesn't feel like the bike is going to withstand the punishment for long.

That's why I bought an '08 Enduro SL so I can let loose on descents and have more control.
    If downhill is your thing the Rockhopper isn't the best bike. For very light descents it's ok and if your experienced you probably won't have a problem, but I just wouldn't use a Rockhopper for doing anything crazy.

mtbr member
    I use mine for the stuff you are talking about. As for steep technical descents at slow speeds you should be fine if the seat is as low as it can go and you lean back. For regular fast descents it is awesome my friend and I got going 40mph on a dirt road. however it was clear of anything technical. Just break the stock parts (Wheel-set) as soon as possible, then up grade to AM or FR parts an you should be fine. That's what I did at least. Plus I sadly do to much uphill riding to want a heavier frame. Love my rockhopper.
    Take a kid Hunting!