Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rockhopper 29er Derailleur Upgrade

7K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  NC-Biker 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals,
my rear derailleur is giving me problems and I verified it by replacing it with a friends and everything was fine. I am wondering if I should just replace it with the same model or just replace both the front and rear with an upgrade if it would make a difference.

Let me know what your thoughts are and any recommendations on parts.
Here's what is currently on the bike. Thanks

Crankset
Shimano FC-M430-8, Octalink spline
Cassette
Shimano HG30, 9-speed, 11-34t
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Alivio, 9sp direct mount Long cage
Front Derailleur
Shimano Alivo, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull
Shifters Shimano Alivo SL, rapid fire trigger

#3 ·
Would I need to replace the front derailleur also if I used the M662?

Those shifters look good,so basically I can use the M662 with my current shifters,but the M660 shifters would give me better shifts?

#6 · (Edited)
Ok,ill look shifters. Which model of SLX should I use on the
front?

I have adjusted my rear derailleur many times trying to fix it without any success. Put a borrowed RD on and just a little adjustment made it all work ok. Not sure what is wrong with my old one.

#9 ·
Ok,ill look shifters. Which model of SLX should I use on the
front?
Sorry I did not read that one correctly. You are right, that is the correct RD (please verify the diameter). However, you might not notice much difference with the SLX FD over the one you have now. But it will match the rest of your bike. SLX brakes are very nice and you will noticed a huge difference over you current brakes. The XTR one that I have is much better then the SLX, XT due to the thick base and stiffness. It pulls from the bottom rather then the top. But they are about $125

Mark

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.