mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Rockhopper 08 M4 frame fork upgrade

Hello everyone,
    I was looking into upgrading my licking and not locking dart3 fork to something like
    RockShox relevation 426 85-130 travel
    Recon 351

so i was thinking what is the max travel length does this frame support can I safely go with
    Revelation 426 ????

Thank you

Weekend Warrior
    I am looking in possibly replacing my Dart 3 as well on my RH. I have found that going over 100mm is not a good idea. So I was thinking if I go with an either adjustable one (85-130) and I can dial in as I need it. Or just go with a 100mm replacement. I was looking at either the REBA or RECON. The best thing is to look at what the Comp and Pro models come with and go that direction.

Mine has pretty much everything replaced except the fork and the frame so far, and I'm still cheaper (by maybe $100) than the upgraded models. There are deals for $400 on a brand new Reba out there. I wanna see if I can pick up a take-off for around $300.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a Recon on my 08 FSR XC Expert. Its a good fork, but if your going to upgrade, I'd look into the Marzocchi XC 700 - '07 model at Jenson USA is $259. I put it on my Rockhopper and its SMOOTH!! If I had a choice I'd take it over the Recon I have now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks for the replays, I new 130 mm fork would be to much I am just looking to get the most versatile fork for a reasonable price, and ill check out Marzocchi XC 700 - '07

thanks, if you guys have more suggestions please feel free

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Steer tube lenght

also a quick question hey whats the steer tube length on the 19 inch frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    w/e i got a huge deal on the Relevation 200 greens from a friend and brand spanking new, it would be tempting riding it on 130mm but i guess ill be save to just be around 85-115. It would be cool to have some feedback from someone that has ridden this combination
    Thanks for ur inputs

Get busy!!
    I just slapped this baby on today. A little more (700) but came with free Chris King headset. 1st ride set for tomorrow after work...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    looks like its going to be fun nice bike

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    so what exactly es the largest fork travel allowed on a 23 inch rockhopper 08 frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    hmm it think it would be the same 100mm, you probably can go 15% up and down 85-115 max but thats all

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have an 07 rh pro. it had an oe recon 335 sl 100mm and I upgraded to a u turn revelation 426 85-130mm. it rides really smooth. I emailed specialized and asked if the frame would handle the 130 setting and they told me it would be fine and not void the warranty. I usually run with enough sag to have the fork sit at 100mm anyways, but yeah, it seems like a new bike.

Get busy!!
    Wow, that 130mm tid-bit is nice to know. I would think that much length would have adverse effect on the geometry. Thanks ritter..
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    nice thats what type of reply i was waiting for thatnks