mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Rival Ti vs Chromolly weight?

Any diff in weight? Specialized saddle Rival Titanium vs Chromolly? Pro/Con?

06 Epic Marathon.

Thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes there is a weight difference...

of 50 to 60 grams (depending on the size of the saddle you chose) between the Ti and cromo railed saddles. Pros: The Ti rails are generally more durable and much less likely to bend in a crash or over time. And of course there's always the "bling factor" of anything Ti. Cons: You're spending 35 bucks more for the Ti version. Actually not that bad when you consider how much more some Ti saddles cost from other manufacturers in compariso with their lower end cromo offerings.

Anyway, Ti is a good material for saddle rails. It usually holds up better than chromo in the long run. If you tend to bend saddle rails then it wouldn't be a bad investment. If you are looking for overall weight savings it wouldn't be bad either. You're looking at around $1.50 per gram of weight savings. Hard to beat that with other components. The ratio of $/per gram is usually MUCH higher. Just keep in mind that if you end up not liking the saddle it's all for nothing anyway!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Squash - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!