J\V
    mtbr member

Riser vs. Flat bars on '07 Epic Marathon

Coming from a 14-year old (pre-front suspension geometry) mountain bike, what is the deal with riser bars? The 640mm carbon bar that came on the Marathon seem WAY to wide for me (it's a medium), and i feel like I'm constantly trying to avoid racking the ends on trees while riding. What I'd like to know is what are the advantages of a riser bar, and if I switch it to flat, what will the changes in handling characteristics be?

Thanks in advance!

J\V
    '07 Specialized Epic Marathon w/Crossmax SLRs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Polar CS600x+Power

The Other Dude
    I had them both on my bike, i thought the risers were more comfortable, and gave me a bit more confidence on the steep downhills we have here, not to mention it seemed they gave me a bit more control while trying to get over all the large rocks and down trees we have to navigate here in the north east. The wider bar also opens up your chest a bit to aid in breathing.

The flat bars were sweet for pure XC stuff, they get you lower over the front wheel, and keep the front end down a bit better for steeper climbs, the are narrower though, which i didnt care for too much, but that sounds like what you are looking for.

I believe you can cut the riser bars if you wish, but i would have the shop do it as they are carbon, and specialized recommends a special blade to properly cut their carbon bars.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

bang
    riser bars tend to be wider (25.5") to accomodate most riders. cut them down as narrow as you wish. you can use a fine-tooth (32 or 28 tpi) hack saw. there are more than a few threads concerning cutting carbon bars.

mtbr member
    I prefer risers instead of the old flat bar. I have Race Face SL risers which are much narrower than my flat bar was. Just cut it down. I used a hack saw and some duct tape (tape where your cutting). That simple.

J\V
    mtbr member
    My LBS said that Specialized told them that the S-Works carbon bars should not be cut, which I thought was odd. Thanks for all the input, it helps!
    '07 Specialized Epic Marathon w/Crossmax SLRs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Polar CS600x+Power

The Other Dude
    i believe they put marks on the ends of the bars so you do cut, you can make sure the are even.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net