mtbr member
    May 2006

A rigid fork that looks decent on a SJ 29er ht

Anyone found a rigid fork that looks nice on an alloy 29er Stumpjumper ht? I'd like to build up an SS frame with a rigid fork and I honestly think that Specialized makes a better frame than Niner, (especially the Specialized ebb seems better than the Niner biocentric). But Niner makes rigid forks that look really nice with their frames. I've seen photos of the Specialized frames with forks by Niner and Salsa, and wasn't impressed with either look. It just looks wrong to me - the colors and/or lines just don't seem to match. It would be nice if Specialized would make a rigid fork designed to look good with their frames and had the correct ac length to match the 90mm suspension forks the bikes are designed for. Has anyone found a rigid fork that looks good on a Stumpjumper 29er ht? Anyone know of a rigid fork with 480-485mm ac? Thanks

BTW, Specialized doesn't seem very helpful about trying to find a rigid fork that works. I once emailed them asking what AC would match the 90 mm Fox that came on the ss bike and they said they couldn't tell me and suggested I ask Fox. Are you kidding me - you can't even tell me what ac length you designed the geometry of your own frame around? Now I have an s-works geared ht, so I can measure the sagged length on my own bike, but seems like it should have been a pretty easy question for a bike company to answer. It doesn't seem like Specialized gets the idea that someone might want a rigid fork on an SS bike. Maybe I should just get a Niner. But, unfortunately, Niner doesn't seem to get that their biocentric ebb is inferior to a pinch bolt ebb, and they also make their chain stays too long and their head angels slightly too steep (though putting a 470mm fork on a Stumpjumper will make the ha just as steep). So, enough ranting - any ideas for a good rigid fork for a sj 29er ht? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Niner fork is very nice! AC=470 mm=OK

Otherwise the new DT-Swiss fork : http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Susp...Forks-(1).aspx

The looks are different, so make your choice

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can feel the 4mm difference in chainstay length? I'm calling BS on that!

Also, it is very easy to find the AC length on the 80mm and the 100mm forks.... the 90mm is surprisingly right between those two

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would not claim to feel the difference in chain stay length - I am not actually that picky specifically about chain stay length, but what I am picky about is both wheel base and head tube angle. Its easier to a shorter wheelbase (which I would claim that yes I can feel a half centimeter difference for a slacker headangle if you make the chainstays shorter. I feel that specialized really has the geometry of their 29er's dialing in perfectly with the 90mm fork, so I'd just like to try to find a way to get the exact same feel with a rigid fork.

Yes, its easy to find the ac measurement of a 90 mm fox fork - I have one, so I can just measure it, sagged or unsagged. My point was that Specialized customer service should have easily been able to answer my question, but seemed to be dodging it as a way to not answer the obvious follow up - and where do you find a 480mm rigid fork. If they are going to design their geometries around an odd fork length, they really ought to make a rigid fork that fits perfectly and keeps the same geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Now Specialized should be making rigid forks? Come on....

I was not suggesting that you measure your fork, sagged and unsagged (although that is a good idea). Just that the specs for the 80mm and 100mm forks are on the web everywhere. The 90mm is 10mm taller than an 80 and 10mm shorter than the 100mm. It's not rocket science. Sure, the big S should have known.... but sometimes you have to look it up yourself.

The difference between an 80mm and a 90mm fork, when sagged is so close you honestly could tell the difference.

A 470mm AC fork will work quite nicely on the Specialized and be great (like the Niner fork).