mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Riding a bike a size smaller than the specialized bike chart

I had been looking at a stumpjumper expert hardtail for months. When I finally saved enough money and went to the store to buy it...it was gone. my. LBS said to ignore the specialized height chart in his store: he gave me a longer stem and said it was 20mm longer than the origgi al so that would make up for the small size. I had to buy longer seat post too. On the specialized height chart for stumpjumper small is 160-168 , medium 169- 178. I am 173 with a 31.5 inseam. Does the smaller frame make much difference to bike handling? Technical uphills or downhills?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How does the bike feel? How tall are you? Whats your reach like? Was this an older model is this why he just didn't order the correct one? Did you test out the medium? If so what did he say then? Also if your to ignore the height chart then why is it posted? He charged you for the seat post that he used to compensate for the wrong size?

I Ride Bikes
    I believe he is 173 cm = 5' 8". His inseam is also pretty big for a small bike. I would have suggested a medium. A longer stem and seatpost can't compensate for everything.

Overall it really comes down to how you feel on the bike.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Impulse

I ignored the size because I was going to buy a medium comp carbon model but then my with came to negotiate the price. Her and lbs started chatting away with the lbs in Korean. After 30 minutes they were convinced this was the best bike for me. If I ordered a bike it would cost 10% more. But he said a longer stem would compensate. He didn't thing that the seat would be too high. It's common in Korea for riders to ride smaller frames and longer stems because their legs and arms are shorter in relation to their bodies. It wasn't till a week later I realized that my pedal stroke was compromised. After buying the longer seat pole i was flying going up hills and on the roads getting to the mountains. the drawback is going up steep uphills. As the front keeps lifting when roots or rocks. It's hard to position your weight forward correctly. I am not sure whether it's a bike size problem or bike model problem. Ie maybe stumpjumpers aren't very good at going up on steep
    trails

mtbr member

I'm 178cm with 87cm legs. My size is M-L because 178cm is the limit for both sizes. Now I'm riding a M Stumpjumper comp Evo 26 but i feel it a bit small. I have ordered a L Epic 2014, hope to feel better on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nice pics

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Endophins View Post
    Nice pics
    Thanks m8. That's Mallorca, Spain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I thought the rule of thumb was to downsize if you were stuck between frame sizes.

Are they doing a full bike-fit for you? You always have to be careful when they want to sell you what they happen to have in-stock.

<--- not an expert

mtbr member

It sounds like you would probably be better off with a medium frame.

One of my first mountain bikes I bought a size smaller than I would normally (because it was on special offer clearance) and put a longer stem and seatpost on. It never really fit properly and didn't inspire confidence. When for my next bike I got a larger frame that fitted it made a big difference to my riding. Everything just seemed easier with the correct size frame.

One thing you can try to stop the front wheel lifting on climbs is to lower the stem by removing the spacers underneath and possibly flipping the stem upside down too, so that you have more bodyweight over the front wheel to keep it planted.

If when riding you drop your elbows and sit right on the nose of the saddle for steep climbs that change in riding position will help keep the front wheel down too.

mtbr member
    If a medium size rider could successfully ride a small frame just with a longer stem and seatpost, manufacturers would not make medium size.

A long stem does not compensate for the fact that your weight distribution is biased to the front now and because of the shorter wheelbase the bike is more prone to OTB. Shorter wheelbase of small frames is OK for smaller people because they are lower on the bike. Even if you're between sizes, it's not clear-cut if you should go smaller or larger. If your legs are long (for standover clearance) and you don't need a very low handlebar, you can go one size up. A whole size down is a horrible idea.

Sounds like the salesman just wanted to sell you a bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My first mountainbike (17") I bought without riding first (Motobecane). It is slightly too small for me so I put a 120mm stem on it to get comfortable. This put my weight too far out in front of me and was not confidence inspiring and caused me to wash out the front wheel pretty easily.

My next bikes have been 18" and 19" and fit much better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

What is otb?

A long stem does not compensate for the fact that your weight distribution is biased to the front now and because of the shorter wheelbase the bike is more prone to OTB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    OTB = Over the bars and I guess it's not the bike more prone but the rider due to position on bike:-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am 1.68m - 5'6" and ride a medium Stumpy HT 26er with 75mm stem and medium Epic 29er with 60mm stem . I fill very comfortable in both bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahic View Post
    OTB = Over the bars and I guess it's not the bike more prone but the rider due to position on bike:-)
    Yes, OTB is over the bars.

Because smaller size bikes have a shorter wheelbase, the front tire is not as far in front as with the right size. Basically your position on the bike is the same, but the frame is shorter so the headtube, fork and front wheel are a bit back. You have more weight on the front tire and less support preventing you from flipping forward. A longer stem doesn't change this.

If anything, people are moving to longer frames and shorter stems on mountain bikes. Mondraker Forward Geometry takes this to the extreme. Picking a small frame and long stem is going backwards.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Endophins View Post
    I had been looking at a stumpjumper expert hardtail for months. When I finally saved enough money and went to the store to buy it...it was gone. my. LBS said to ignore the specialized height chart in his store: he gave me a longer stem and said it was 20mm longer than the origgi al so that would make up for the small size. I had to buy longer seat post too. On the specialized height chart for stumpjumper small is 160-168 , medium 169- 178. I am 173 with a 31.5 inseam. Does the smaller frame make much difference to bike handling? Technical uphills or downhills?
    I am as tall as you - 173 cm and i ride a custom built Sworks HT in size S. Burry Stander was 173 cm too and guess what he rode - size S. For me the standover height of a medium frame was just too much, i could easily crunch my balls.