mtbr member

Ride quality of S-Works Stumpy 29er carbon HT?

Can anyone riding one of these chime in on the overall feel of these frames over an aluminum Stumpy? Are they super stiff?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a 2012 S-Works HT sram and my friend has a 2012 Stumpy Comp HT. The comp feels heavy, slow, and beats you up. My Carbon SW feels solid, smooth and much quicker...but it stills feels like a HT. My wife has a 2013 marathon HT and it feels similiar to my SW at less $.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I don't mean to sound intrusive, but you've got to take into the consideration the difference in the parts spec on those bikes though. The Comp (and the Carbon Comp) have some very heavy wheels, saddles, bars etc. on them. It's not gonna be a fair comparison that you can guage feel from. I totally agree that your S-Works is completely different animal, but the difference in spec is going to cloud the true distinguishing between them.

This past summer I bought a '12 Comp HT 29er just to see if I would jive with the 29er wheels, instead of slamming down on an Expert or S-Works first. I had just bought my wife one and she was absolutely stoked on it, being her first 29er as well, and it was a pretty sharp looking little bike too. I built it, took it out for about a 10 mile ride at my home trails, and decided it was good enough to keep and deck out in Shimano. So I stripped it, put XTR and XT on it, and threw on a set of Crests laced with Revolution spokes to XT hubs. It's a completely different bike. Definitely not an S-Works, but it lost over a pound and a half. I put the same wheels on my wife's, which is otherwise bone stock, barring the Thompson stem, and she loved it too. Hers is still lighter than mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a 2012 SJ EVO 29 HT and was able to ride a mechanic's 2012 SJ S-WORKS 29er HT for an afternoon on my usual trail. It just did everything better. Mainly could tell the difference over roots and rock gardens instead of the harsh feedback it was smoother and in the way it climbed just felt lighter\more nimble. Is the $5K difference in price worth it? Maybe if you raced or have deep pockets. Otherwise, I'd probably pick up a Marathon and swap the shifters out.

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '13 R3 Ultegra
    '12 SJ EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Was just thinking I could upgrade my frame and it would be a direct part-for-part swap. Looks like they only sell the frame along with the SID fork which I don't need..my Fox is fine.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Was just thinking I could upgrade my frame and it would be a direct part-for-part swap. Looks like they only sell the frame along with the SID fork which I don't need..my Fox is fine.
    I don't see why not. Let me know when you do this and I'll take the aluminum frame and the SID fork off your hands. I'd make a 2x10 race bike out of it and keep my current one as a trainer.

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '13 R3 Ultegra
    '12 SJ EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Tire pressure on the hardtail is really important

I have a 2012 Comp that I ride/race. I also have mine decked out with xtr and Am. Classic tubeless wheels and it weighs under 23 lbs. By far the thing that differentiates whether I have a good ride/race is tire pressure. Just a little too much and the roots make the bike a pogo stick. Just a tad to little pressure (running tubeless) means I burp out the air on a root or rock. So basically I have to slow down getting ready to ride and make damn sure the tire pressure is what I want. When I do I can do 6 hour solo races and enjoy every minute of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^^Definitely +1 on the tires and tire pressure on the aluminum frame. By far the best ride I've gotten from this is with large volume tires and pretty low pressure. Would I swap all of my parts onto an S-Works if I had one on hand? You betcha. But this frame rides just fine. (For me)

TiG, if you've got the means, definitely get an S-Works frame. You've already upgraded your wheels to a decently lighter set than the stockers (which weighed in at around 2100-2150 grams if I remember right) so things should feel pretty good. I would figure even the S-works frame would feel a bit like a pig if you had all the stock Comp and aluminum Evo parts on it. We all know wheels make a huge difference. The biggest really.