mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Review/ 08 Stumpy Pro Carbon or 08 S-Works Frameset??

OK.. So after watching this video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=spHgV1fH1xY) during the week, I decided to go to my LBS and demo the 08 Stumpy Expert..

I currently have a 07 Stumpy FSR Carbon Pro and love it to death!! but I had to feel the new 08 geometry! I rode today and have to say that the 08 definitely exceeded all expectations! I felt faster on my climbs.. I felt faster on my descends and I think it was due to my confidence in the corners.. I was able to push harder in the corners. The suspension was very responsive and held up just fine as I tip the scales at 210lbs!!

I got home and my GPS validated the way I was feeling.. I compared my loop today to previous trips on my 07 Carbon Pro, and on the 08 I was faster.

So here's my dilemma.. Do I break down and purchase the 08 Stumpy Carbon Pro?? or do I purchase the 08 Stumpy S-Works frameset (with fork) and swap over my 07 components???

Looking for some suggestions..

Texan
    Cool video! Thanks!

I wish I could help you decide on which bike to get. Follow your gut feeling and trust yourself!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    stan12..... I am in the same situation. I have a 07 Stumpjumper Carbon Pro and I am looking at the 08 Stumpjumper S-Works. I wrote a review on VS779 post Pics of my 08 Stumpjumer Carbon pro..... if you look on page three. If I go to the 08 Stumpjumper S-Works I will just sell my 07 Carbon Pro complete is just easier that way. The real thing that sucks is I just got my 07 Carbon Pro and have only two rides on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I only have two rides on my '08 S-Works Stumpjumper but I can honestly say that when Ned Overend claims that this bike goes up and down as well as any bike in their line, he is not kidding. This bike made me feel invincible on the climbs and sucked up anything I threw at it on the way down. Of course, I'm not doing huge drops but that is what the Enduro is for, right? On hills that I would usually be cursing the gods on my old Jekyll, I barely felt winded. The frame is nice and stiff and the dual Brains work like a dream.

Can't speak to the Carbon Pro (rode it around a bike shop while I was waiting impatiently for mine to show up), but I give the S-Works an 11 out of 10. Pricey but worth every penny in my (somewhat limited) opinion!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    SWBA80 when did you get your bike? I was told the first shippment will be late Dec and then I heard Feb. Do you have any pic's? Keep the reviews coming.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I got mine last Wednesday (12/05/07) after ordering the bike back in August. As far as pictures, I have a really crappy picture that does the bike no justice that I posted this morning - check the thread about posting your S-Works pictures. I will definitely post some better ones when I have more time and I will be sure to keep the reviews coming as I get more ride time on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    SWBA80, Would love to see more photos/ hear of your experience with your S Works, as I have been waiting patiently for mine for over 2 months, and have another two to go!!!!!