mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm Revelation or wait for Manitou Mattoc??

Considering a new fork for my 2012 stumpy fsr comp. I dont have the evo link so I am considering just replacing the stock fork with 140mm. I have never ran rock shox forks and wondering if any one could give your opinions on the new revelation? The revelation seems great but it only has 32 fork sanctions while the mattoc will sport 34s.

mtbr member
    Depends on the type of riding you do. The Revelation is a GREAT fork, but a 34+ stanchion fork will handle things a lot better if you ride aggressive.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I find the stock fox fork harsh in the mid stroke and noodly. Im about 200lbs geared up, and it seems to flex a bit on tech stuff. I ride mostly in Southeastern Wyoming & Northern Colorado.

mtbr member
    Go Mattoc, Pike, Slide or Fox 34 for sure. The Revelation is a lot stiffer and nicer than the stock Fox 32, but it is not as stiff as one of the bigger forks. I went from the stock Fox 32 to a Revelation 150 to a Fox 34 and I noticed big gains at each step.

Even if you get a 150 fork, you probably wont notice much of a difference over a 140. My buddy has a 160 Pike on his 2012 SJ and uses the standard 140 link.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have had good luck with manitou forks back in my hard tail days. They were super plush and just as good as fox. I think the Pike might be overkill, I leaning more towards the Mattoc.

Here is a few shots of my local riding area. Wyoming is such a great place to live.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revelation or wait for Manitou Mattoc??-dscn0050.jpg  

Revelation or wait for Manitou Mattoc??-trees.jpg  

Revelation or wait for Manitou Mattoc??-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Alright so the axle to crown measure for the mattoc is 525mm for the 140mm travel version, while my stock fox fork (140mm) is 510.9mm. This seems like a big jump for both forks having the same travel. Will I notice much of a difference and will it screw up the handling of my bike?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Alright so the axle to crown measure for the mattoc is 525mm for the 140mm travel version, while my stock fox fork (140mm) is 510.9mm. This seems like a big jump for both forks having the same travel. Will I notice much of a difference and will it screw up the handling of my bike?
    Definately get the Mattoc! Price Point should have them in stock any day.

The Mattoc has an offset of 42mm while the Float has a 39mm offset. Maybe that difference in offset will minimize any changes in handling from the longer a-c.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....