mtbr member

Replacing Triad with Brain on Stumpy comp? Q on Triad too

I'm sure this is possible, right? I was thinking about eventually having my lbs order me a brain to put on my Comp.

Also, the current shock, the Fox/Specialized Triad, where is the O ring supposed to be? Mine keeps winding up halfway down the shock body and Im pretty sure it doesnt belong there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The o-ring is just a travel indicator to show you how much travel you're using. If it is only halfway down after a ride then your shock has too much air pressure in it.

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    No offence, but if you don't even know the purpose of the o-ring on the shock shaft, shouldn't you at first get to know your current shock and the best setup, before you start thinking about changing the shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think he needs to learn the retro side of MTB bikes, instead of trying to retrofit.

mtbr member
    I agree...plus he just bought this bike according to his latest post.

mtbr member
    I wasn't planning on doing this now, Im going to do it way in the future. All I asked was if it was possible, not for any of you to come to my house and install it. An O-ring is typically used to seal, so I wasn't sure if it was in the right place or not. The o-ring was sitting half way down on the shock body from the dealership and I just wanted clarification, if I wanted any one to be a judgemental douche bag, I would have said it. I never had a full suspension bike before, so all I asked for was clarification, understand? Were you people born knowning the ins and outs of bicycle shocks? Hmm I dont think so, you had to learn it somewhere.

mtbr member

Keep asking questions Steve

It's pretty funny how people are. it's ok if you don't know all the technical BS connected with riding and bikes. it's ok if you're not frickin' Hans Rey on the technical sections of your local trails. It's ok if you don't know who Hans Rey is. If you want a cool shock, go get it. Keep asking questions, keep riding. If you keep riding, you'll find you can ride the snot out of most people, weather you know what some particular little part is for or not.
    There's no sex in golf...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    not sure if you can order the brain separately from the bike but to mount it you're going to need to find out if there is a threaded hole on your rear triangle. If not you're going to need a to devise a way to mount the remote brain part of the new Brain on. GL with your project though. I've looked into it and stopped because you would be better off going with a RP23 for the rear instead. No "brain" feature but it will get the job done MUCH better then the Triad. Again good luck with your search.
    Andy

Edit: BTW, play around with your triad some more. if the o-ring is only going halfway down the shaft then you have too much pressure in the shock.
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

thecentralscrutinizer
    Sounds like you're close on the air pressure. Consult the Fox manual that came with your bike and set it up according to their recommendations as a starting point. Adjust the air pressure and dampening to fine tune it to your liking.
    I never could get the Triad to work good for me. I replaced it with a Fox RP23 and have never looked back. If you go this route, you need to make sure you are getting the correct length and stroke for your model bike.

Good luck.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! No I know who Hans Rey is haha. I saw a special with him, Brian Lopes, and some decent looking chick whose name slips my mind right now on INHD on tv on their journey through a trail that was never attempted on bikes before, I have it saved on my dvr. I love minor technicalities and I NEED to know the ins and outs of things, which is why Im a bit surprised with myself that I didn't know what the o-ring was for, but like I said, first full suspension bike so hey whatever haha. I like knowing how and why things work the way they do.
    The shock is at the correct setting, I definitely trust the shop I went to. they were featured in MB Action for top shops across the country. I got on the trails with the bike yesterday for the first ride and the o-ring is where it should be now. thanks again

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Hey Steve,
    If you don't have one yet,you should pick up a shock pump. Even if your shop put the right amount of pressure in it for your weight, you'll still need to check it every now and then. They're only about $25 bucks and work on most air forks too.
    Enjoy that new fully ride.