mtbr member

Resistance is Futile-06 Epic Disc or 07 SJ FSR Comp?

Sorry to bring up the aged old heated Epic vs. SJ debate again. But I find myself in the middle of it and need some insight from actual owners of both bikes. My LBS has a black 06 Epic Disc for $1675.00 and a black 07 SJ FSR Comp for $1,850.00. Both of these bikes have XL frames. Other than the BB7s and Shimano drive train on the Epic vs. the Juicy 5s and SRAM drive train on the SJ the bikes component for component are virtually the same, so it comes down the bike frame design and durability.
    1) I am 6'-4"- tall and weigh 220 pounds and predominately ride on rough gravels roads with large outcrops of rocks. My normal loop starts off with a 1 1/2 mile ride on flat AC, a 1 mile ride on a rough single track with climbs and downhill(s), then a 3 mile run up a steep rough gravel road. At the top of the gravel road I normally turn around and return to my starting destination. Given this type of terrain combined with many steep and long climbs, the Epic seems like it is the best bike for me. My only concern would be my downhill descent, which would be jarring if the inertia valve did not open all the way.
    2) The SJ seems like it is better suited for down hills and the single track (with the triad lever turned to open) however it may be quite a workout to peddle the tank up hill compared to the Epic even with the triad locked out or in pro-pedal due to the 120 mm of travel.
    3) The Epic's Brain does not seem like it is functioning correctly because the rear end bobs no matter what the air pressure is or where the brain fade knob it adjusted. If the shock needs to be serviced by Fox then it will take at least 3 weeks for them to turn it around.
    4) I do not like the feel of the SRAM drive train on the SJ so I would end up replacing it with my partially used Shimano Components.
    5) Lastly durability, my current ride, a 04 SJ FSR has been a money pit-all of the components have been replaced because the OEM ones wore out within a year and the pivots in the rear suspension are working on its third set of bearings. Also bike eats through lower shock eye bushings for breakfast. Unfortunately Specialized has used every excuse in the book to avoid replacing the frame so if I buy another Specialized bike I want one with a proven track record. How durable (i.e. long lasting) is the Epic and the new 07 SJ FSR?

mtbr member
    Well, we covered the SJ FSR before in another thread of yours and I feel that's the best way to go. I believe it's too hard to answer a question on durability when the oldest 07 SJ FSR (or Epic) will be almost a year old now. After about 5 months, my SJ is holding up just fine.

Also, the rider's position on both bikes is quite a bit different and should lend themselves to simplifying your decision. The 07 SJ FSR was way too close to "All Mountain" with the geometry and TALAS fork, while the 08 will have an even longer wheelbase and fixed fork (but the 120mm fork will put the stem at the same height as the 07 in 140mm mode). All this is happening with the SJ, while the Epic has been very close to the original intention of a sharp handling XC bike. This means shorter wheelbase, steeper angles, and less travel. The Epic should pedal (unless you're trying to sell something unwanted, it's pedal ) more efficiently just from the different suspension design alone, but the Brain (when working right) should be more efficient automagically for you. I prefer manual adjustments within easy reach, but that's just me.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Huh?
    If the Epic's rear end bob's no matter what, the reason for an Epic is basically useless. The Epic is supposed to be purely XC, but your energy would be sapped simply pedalling.

mtbr member
    The epic doesn't bob at all. I'm 250 pounds and zero pedal bob..

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    If the Epic's rear end bob's no matter what, the reason for an Epic is basically useless. The Epic is supposed to be purely XC, but your energy would be sapped simply pedalling.

Ya, i havn't ridden one, but if there's ONE (and one thing only) the epic is famous for, is pedal efficiency.

mtbr member
    The geometry of the Epic is too stretched out for me so I would need to replace the stem with a shorter one (100 mm or less) with at least 15 degrees of rise to match the SJ's geometry. The shorter wheelbase and the Shimano drive train on the Epic is more appealing to me than the setup on the SJ comp. The spiracle shock eye bearings on the Epic on paper are a lot more durable than the bushing and small sealed bearings on the SJ shock. While SJ's dropout pivots have double 6800 RS bearings with hard washer-spacers seems stronger than the Epic's single 6800 RS with plastic side load washers. The automatic lockout feature that the Epic offers seems problematic; however is not a strong selling point over the manual lockout, open and pro-pedal feature on the SJ. Overall I am on the fence with the either the cheaper Epic or the more comfortable and more expensive SJ. Side note; the SJ makes clicky noises when the rear shock is locked out. Is this normal or does it point to a problem with the rear shock or pivot bearings?

mtbr member
    I don't recall mine making any noises when locked out, but then again I have only used the lockout 3 times or so in the last 5 months.

mtbr member
    The clicking noise on my 04 SJ is indicative of either a worn down rear shock, worn-out sealed bearing(s) in the rear pivots, lack of grease between the seat clamp and the frame’s seat tube or a loose BB and or lack of grease on the BB’s threads. I believe it is in the shock because the clicking was not present in open or PP mode. Student Driver can you lockout your Triad and ride the bike around the block and see if your hear any clicking. Note; this clicking noise was present in another 07 SJ Comp I test road, however there was no clicking noise on another Comp or an Elite that I tested in another town.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    erm, 08 Stumpy has a shorter wheelbase, they reduced the length of the chainstay
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Yeah, I tried this last night but couldn't remember what thread this was in. In any case, no, there was no clicking. Just a slight squeak sound that stopped after a couple of cycles. Honestly I am beginning to think the shop you go to is not maintaining its bikes or its customers...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    erm, 08 Stumpy has a shorter wheelbase, they reduced the length of the chainstay
    Nope, they shortened the chainstay but lengthened the top tube. After that, they kept the same head tube angle as the 07 Stumpy at 140mm by lengthening the headtube 20mm at the bottom.

Large 07 Elite (mine) - 1130mm
    Large 08 Elite - 1155mm

This can be validated by checking the site.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    oh, I didn notice that, that means 08 stumpy is more xc-ish rite?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    oh, I didn notice that, that means 08 stumpy is more xc-ish rite?
    Read the geometry specs, and look for a comparison photo (there's a good one around here, just make sure the 08 front wheel sticks out further in the pic to get the right one). If you have ridden an 07, then the 08 should be similar in ride height to the 07 at 140mm but it might have less dive as the F120 should be less linear than the TALAS and have shorter travel. The longer wheelbase might help with that too. On the other hand, the wheelbase was already quite long in 07, so I am not sure how the extra inch will feel on tight switchbacks.