mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Reports on the 07 Triads??

I'm wondering if there have been any bad reports coming in on the 2007 Triads used on the Stumpy FSR line. I'm trying (like so many others) do decide if I should get the Elite with the Triad, or cough up the extra coin for the Expert. I talked to Push the other day and sadly, they don't do any work on the new Triads, nor do they sell directly any shocks that you can just swap in. I'm 175 lbs and have a HT for racing.... seems a lot of the complaints on the Triads were from larger riders. I just wish the weather would improve so I could get some more test rides in

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    So far mine has performed flawlessly...

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

get the expert

I prefer the X9-XO spec over the LX-XTR shifter/derauiller myself. With only a $500 diff in list, and the possibility that a dealer can close that gap a little...get the brain.

I have never ridden a brain Stumpy, but I have a full season on a troublesome Triad eqpt(Push rebuilt too)06 FSR.. I recently got an RP23 for a Cdale rush-it is the same 7.5e2e, and 1.75" stroke as the Stumpy. In the two rides covering just about 35 miles, I can tell you the performance jump is huge.

If you cheap out now, and wind up being unhappy with the Triad-like a LOT of folks on this forumn seem to be-it'll cost $400 minimun to get another shock choice.

The Brain, if it's in your price range...is a no brainer.

Specialized should be ashamed that they are still in 07 putting a marginal at best, piece of crap at worst rear shock on such a stellar chassis. I wondered the price difference to the big S Triad vs RP3 from Fox. Now we should wonder the price diff of a Triad from Fox, compared to the Specialized in house future shock.

Here's hoping that the Triad does a disappearing act for the 08 model year.

Good luck whichever way you go. There are many who have been happy with the Triad performance, it does seem to vary greatly. Regardless of the FSR choice, it is an extremely competent, and confidence inspiring chassis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

07 Triad

I have had the 07 Elite for about a month now. The triad has performed great so far. I notice no bobing while climbing when it is in the propedal setting. The lockout works fine for sustained non-technical climbs. The lockout feels very similar to the lockout I had on my old Float RL. I love how it eats everything up on the downhills when in the open position. I have not quite figured out the proper rebound setting. I use the sag meter to check the pressure everytime before I ride. I weigh 165 and put in about 175 psi.

I have a Stumpjumper mud flap to keep the mud off of the shock. I make sure to wipe down the shock cylinder after every ride and even during riding if it gets muddy.

I hope it holds up, but so far so good. It is a unique sized shock(7.75x1.75), but I think it would work if you replaced it with a 7.875x2.00 shock and had the stroke shortened by PUSH from 2 to 1.75. 7.75 and 7.875 seem pretty darn close to me, but I'm not a expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Harris
    It is a unique sized shock(7.75x1.75), but I think it would work if you replaced it with a 7.875x2.00 shock and had the stroke shortened by PUSH from 2 to 1.75. 7.75 and 7.875 seem pretty darn close to me, but I'm not a expert by any stretch of the imagination.

standard aftermarket RP3-RP23 size is 7.5 e2e with a 2" stroke. If you go that route, you indeed need Push to shorten the stroke. However, you can order a replacement RP23 for a Cdale Rush from any Cdale dealer. That shock is an exact 7.5e2ex1.75" stroke, already modified to fit the Rush chassis. All you have to do is get another reducer set for the shock, or utilize the existing set from the Triad.

Glad to hear your Triad is performing well. I never had much decernable difference between settings Pro Pedal-open-locked. My settings were more like, suck-suck with Bob-and suck with more Bob

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by magdaddy
    standard aftermarket RP3-RP23 size is 7.5 e2e with a 2" stroke. If you go that route, you indeed need Push to shorten the stroke. However, you can order a replacement RP23 for a Cdale Rush from any Cdale dealer. That shock is an exact 7.5e2ex1.75" stroke, already modified to fit the Rush chassis. All you have to do is get another reducer set for the shock, or utilize the existing set from the Triad.

Glad to hear your Triad is performing well. I never had much decernable difference between settings Pro Pedal-open-locked. My settings were more like, suck-suck with Bob-and suck with more Bob

Thanks for the info about the Cdale route. Any idea what a C-dale shop charges for one of those bad boys retail? Should I fib and tell them I have a Dale? Some companies are crappy about selling replacements if you don't have their bike. I'll have to give some shops a call tomorrow and see what I can find out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The 07 Triad has a longer eye to eye than the 05 and 06 Triad. The 07 is 7.75, while the older one's were 7.5

The C-dale Rush RP23 is 7.5x1.75

Is it a problem that the eye-to-eye is different?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Harris
    The 07 Triad has a longer eye to eye than the 05 and 06 Triad. The 07 is 7.75, while the older one's were 7.5

The C-dale Rush RP23 is 7.5x1.75

Is it a problem that the eye-to-eye is different?
    Nope, go check Specializzze........ What the Heck?!?! 7.75 for the 07 Stumpy??? That is insane! Geeez, I am soo glad I got an 06.

BTW, Thanks for the heads up