Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

a reply from Specialized

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Wed 9/21/2005 7:32 PM
    To: Store CustomerService
    Subject: full 06 specs

Dear Big S

dealer catalogs are already out for nearly the full 06 lineup-some bikes are on the way. Why is the near complete 06 lineup not shown online yet?

Are 06 catalogs available yet? If so, I would like one.

A final question from your marketing/brand guy's dream consumer(road&mtn bike, clothes, helmet, shoes, casual wear, you name it I got it)...me. How can you justify a $1500 jump from the S works Carbon Stumpy FSR, to the M5 Stumpy FSR? They have the exact same part spec. With the manipulation of the M5 tubing, the labor/materials can't be that far apart. My personal opinion is the whole exclusivity thing drives the pricing. Hell, I have to drive a minimum of two hours just to get to an S works dealer. I can practically hop a plane and fly to the midwest faster and cheaper.

That Carbon Stumpy is the bike I have waitng for you to build. But for $7k, you got to be kidding, and it's just insult to injury that the complete M5 Stumpy is available only in that ugly(MHO) brown. I just can'y bring myself to compromise and get the Pro yet, but I gotta have a brain.

Ahh, if only the Carbon was more realistically priced.

Joe Magliocca

Hello,
    The bikes will be listed on the web after Interbike, which is next week. I have put your information in my notes, so that I can send you a catalog when I get some. They will be here any day. To construct a carbon mountain bike is very expensive for us to build. The cost of carbon is high right now. We have been building M5 bikes for several years. This is the first year we have produced a carbon mountain bike. There are many costs that are inherent when a company introduces a new product. The shop price corresponds directly with the cost that we have paid to build the bike. It does not benefit us to sell a bike for a price that is so inflated that people can not buy it.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Specialized Customer Service/Online Store
    1137 South 3800 West
    Salt Lake City UT 84104
    877-808-8154

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by magdaddy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Wed 9/21/2005 7:32 PM
    To: Store CustomerService
    Subject: full 06 specs

Dear Big S

dealer catalogs are already out for nearly the full 06 lineup-some bikes are on the way. Why is the near complete 06 lineup not shown online yet?

Are 06 catalogs available yet? If so, I would like one.

A final question from your marketing/brand guy's dream consumer(road&mtn bike, clothes, helmet, shoes, casual wear, you name it I got it)...me. How can you justify a $1500 jump from the S works Carbon Stumpy FSR, to the M5 Stumpy FSR? They have the exact same part spec. With the manipulation of the M5 tubing, the labor/materials can't be that far apart. My personal opinion is the whole exclusivity thing drives the pricing. Hell, I have to drive a minimum of two hours just to get to an S works dealer. I can practically hop a plane and fly to the midwest faster and cheaper.

That Carbon Stumpy is the bike I have waitng for you to build. But for $7k, you got to be kidding, and it's just insult to injury that the complete M5 Stumpy is available only in that ugly(MHO) brown. I just can'y bring myself to compromise and get the Pro yet, but I gotta have a brain.

Ahh, if only the Carbon was more realistically priced.

Joe Magliocca

Hello,
    The bikes will be listed on the web after Interbike, which is next week. I have put your information in my notes, so that I can send you a catalog when I get some. They will be here any day. To construct a carbon mountain bike is very expensive for us to build. The cost of carbon is high right now. We have been building M5 bikes for several years. This is the first year we have produced a carbon mountain bike. There are many costs that are inherent when a company introduces a new product. The shop price corresponds directly with the cost that we have paid to build the bike. It does not benefit us to sell a bike for a price that is so inflated that people can not buy it.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Specialized Customer Service/Online Store
    1137 South 3800 West
    Salt Lake City UT 84104
    877-808-8154

Dude, get the PRO. If you got the money, go for the carbon, *****in about the price won't change anything, although I understand your feeling. PRO comes with a brain. 7000 dollars for a mountain bike is just plain ludicrous, unless if you're those spoiled rich kids on "Growin up GOTTI." If you race professionally with a sponsor on your back, then I can justify getting one, as the sponsor would probably pay for some of the bike anyways, but a 7000 dollar carbon MTB for a weekend warrior? nah.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I agree with you on this. I want to buy the PRO myself pretty bad, just need to save up alittle money and wait for them to come out. I asked at a LBS and they said that they probably would not come out until Dec/Jan. I hope that they come out sooner. $7000 is alot of money.

mtbr member

Good job! I just rode one

I just rode a Stumpy 120 pro in my size yesterday. My LBS (Rock N Road) has a handful of them in and were nice enough to let me ride one in the parking lot for 20 minutes. I like it so much I am considering selling my 05 SWorks Epic to get my hands on one.
    The only thing holding me back is the ugly brown color of the 06 Sworks Stumpy and the hefty price of the carbon. I need to see a carbon or win the Lotto before I can drop that much $$$ on a MTB.
    The Pro may be the way to go.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer
    I just rode a Stumpy 120 pro in my size yesterday. My LBS (Rock N Road) has a handful of them in and were nice enough to let me ride one in the parking lot for 20 minutes. I like it so much I am considering selling my 05 SWorks Epic to get my hands on one.
    The only thing holding me back is the ugly brown color of the 06 Sworks Stumpy and the hefty price of the carbon. I need to see a carbon or win the Lotto before I can drop that much $$$ on a MTB.
    The Pro may be the way to go.
    Man, that's the first time I have seen someone mention that they are changing bikes after less than 1 year of ownership.

I think you may already know this, but the stumpy with the brain is not a substitute for an Epic though. Stumpy Pro will never be locked out on power climbs like the epic, so if you are looking for an Epic-like performance, you better rethink it. If you read the previous posts, one member bought one and explained the "first ride" impressions.