mtbr member

Replacing wheelset on Stumpjuper FSR

I'm thinking about upgrading my wheelset on my 2010 Stumpjumper FSR elite. I'm looking for a wheel that is lightweight, durable, and low maintenance. I weigh 210 lbs and ride aggressively (more all mountain than XC). What wheel would be the best choice for the money?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    my favourite are mavic crossmax st

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    whats your budget? I'd go for a custom build if you can afford it. Hope 2, hadley or CK hubs (dependant on budget) and a good rim choice such as a mavic, stans ZTR or DT swiss. One thing to consider with rim choice is if you'd like to try tubeless if so go for one that accommodates that function.

If you are 210lbs and ride aggressively you might want to look at something like ZTR flow (I have this rim and would recommend it, its taken plenty of my abuse and mistakes) or a slightly tougher mavic rim. Just don't go for something too lightweight, find the balance!

mtbr member
    The stock wheelset on stumpjumpers includes the nice oversize DT swiss axle on the front, it's not QR20/15, but it is the next best thing. You might want to reuse the stock hub just to keep the axle.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure if I am going with a custom build or a manufactured wheelset. I'm trying to find the best wheel for the money. I don't want to spend $500 dollars now and wish I would of spent a little more money for a better wheel. What are your thoughts on the new Easton Haven wheels? Are they worth the money?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Since you are concerned about the cost of the wheelset this is what I suggest:

FRONT WHEEL: The stock front hub has sealed bearings which are replacable. It also has 28 holes so you can have a light front wheel. I am not sure why you should get rid of it. Since you are riding all mountain you would like a wide strong rim. Maybe a Stan's FLOW?? Buy some double butted spokes and brass nipples and you are done with your front wheel.

REAR WHEEL: Your rear hub is not bad but it doesn't have sealed bearings and the engagement is not good. So you are going for a new rear wheel. I say buy the same double butted spokes and rim with the front wheel. For the rear hub you have to see what you need. If you are looking for stiffening the rear end then a bolt on or a thru axle hub is perfect. If you are doing tech climbing a quick engagement hub is needed so you are looking for something like 36 48 or more points of engagement. Hadley, Chris king, Industry 9, DT 240 with the updated rachet system. I would recomend the DT240s though. The rachet system is solid, easy to use and service hubs, a lot of parts etc etc..

NOTE: Take the parts to a PROFESSIONAL wheel builder and ask his opinion too!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by knobby1
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure if I am going with a custom build or a manufactured wheelset. I'm trying to find the best wheel for the money. I don't want to spend $500 dollars now and wish I would of spent a little more money for a better wheel. What are your thoughts on the new Easton Haven wheels? Are they worth the money?
    New 2010 Easton Haven wheels, pics and review, longer read

mtbr member
    I think i'm going with a custom build. Anyone have experience with ordering custom wheels via the internet? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hope Pro II + DT Competition + Mavic EN521 from CRC?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hope Pro II with Mavic 819?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hope II with Mavic 819 and DT revolution is a great option as well...

But I just put an Easton Haven on my, and it looks insane! Very good wheels!

mtbr member
    I have my choices narrowed down to the Hope II and Mavic 819 or Easton Haven. Still trying to decide. Does anyone know how the weight compares between the two? What spoke option should I go with if I decide on the Mavics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had norrowed my choices on these two as well... Went with the Havens because of the look and the weight. And of course I managed to get a good discount on one.

The Haven is about 200gr lighter than the mavic...

My choice would be for the DT revolution spokes... But if you are going to use them for very agressive Am, then you should get something stronger, like the competitions... But they are even heavier...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    While the Hope Pro II may be an upgrade over the stock rear hub, pay a little more now for a higher engagement one

crc's build of my wheels was spot on though, and the total for a hope pro II build on DT Swiss XR400 rims was only about $450, so if you've got a bigger budget go for it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I weigh 225 and I have the 2009 Crossmax ST wheels on my 2010 Elite. They are $449 on some web sites, I went to Moab for a week and they haven't budged running S Works tires with sealant, no flats!

mtbr member
    Edu Guilhon Any issues with play in the rear hub of the Havens?

Go SOLAR...
    Knobby...I still think weight weenies.com still has all weights for most wheel sets listed.
    Have you checked out bicycle wheel warehouse? They build a good set.

Are you selling your stock set?

mtbr member
    Forte Loco wheels.

Basically rebranded Azonic Outlaws with 32 spokes instead of 36.

Not bling, but at around for both wheels, one of the best values in MTB'g imo. Very durable and strong, very strong freehub, front is convertible to 20mm.

mtbr member
    BWW makes some good stuff. I've had them for a while and beaten em and they've been pretty good. not too expensive either. search for them here on mtbr, there's a lot of info on them.

mtbr member
    you can color code them to!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joshdurston
    The stock wheelset on stumpjumpers includes the nice oversize DT swiss axle on the front, it's not QR20/15, but it is the next best thing. You might want to reuse the stock hub just to keep the axle.
    Is that like the Ritchey 9mm "skraxle" from back in the day?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hy,

Mine has less than 50 miles yet... I am out of time to ride.

But so far so good.... They look beautifull, pretty light, spins smooth... very good wheels.

A good option for custom wheels is Chain Reaction; take a look on their website...

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Knobby1 I have a custom build on a 07 elite. Hadley hubs with mavic 819 rims. I got them from rbikes off the internet. They will build the wheelset for you. I have had them for about 3 years and they have not needed to trued yet. I am 6-4 230..

mtbr member
    I have decided on the custom build. I'm going with the Mavic 819's, but haven't decided on which hubs. I have the Talas fork without the thru axle, but I would like to keep using the DT skewer with the 9mm thru bolt system. I was going to go with the CK's, but they don't make the 9mm conversion for the front hub. Hope makes a conversion kit, so I' m probably going with a Hope II in the front.

So I need to decide on a rear hub. Should I go with the CK or stick with a Hope II?

LarLev , Haven't decided what I'm duing with my factory set. I'm going to need them until my wheelset is built, but probably interested in selling after I get my new wheels. What are they worth?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Where are you getting them from? I am also looking for a lighter wheelset, considering the havens but I don't like the way they look. I'm a newb when it comes to wheels, I just know I want some lighter ones than my current set. I have DT X430 rims and DT 370 hubs.... Am I good, should I keep this wheelset? Dunno how much they weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    Is that like the Ritchey 9mm "skraxle" from back in the day?
    It's basically the same thing where the 9mm front hub axle is replaced by a thick skewer.

The main difference between the Ritchey "skraxle" hubs that came on older bikes and the current DT ones are that the 9mm Ritchey "skraxle" uses a quick release mechanism whilst the DT RWS bolt thru skewers (9mm front/ 10mm rear wheel) aren't quick release and have to be undone by unscrewing them. Unless you file the "lawyer tabs" off your fork you still have to unscrew a quick release skewer a few turns to get the wheel out so it's not really any harder to do.

The advantage of the DT RWS bolt thru skewers are that they clamp the dropouts together with more force than you can easily manage when closing a quick release skewer. They're also easier to fine tune tightness to keep the disc brake caliper/ rotor lined up if you take a wheel off and put it back on again when compared to a quick release skewer.

The front wheels that come with Specialized bikes fitted with Specialized own brand forks have oversized 28mm end caps for increased stiffness also.

Pictured below: "Skraxle" hub on a 2003 Epic
    DT RWS 9mm bolt thru skewer compared to Ritchey "Skraxle" 9mm skewer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing wheelset on Stumpjuper FSR-skraxle9mm.jpg  

Replacing wheelset on Stumpjuper FSR-16743-070816_modifisert_framaksel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    CK are great, but I believe the Hope II will a pretty good option as well.

Go for it!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knobby1
    I have decided on the custom build. I'm going with the Mavic 819's, but haven't decided on which hubs. I have the Talas fork without the thru axle, but I would like to keep using the DT skewer with the 9mm thru bolt system. I was going to go with the CK's, but they don't make the 9mm conversion for the front hub. Hope makes a conversion kit, so I' m probably going with a Hope II in the front.

So I need to decide on a rear hub. Should I go with the CK or stick with a Hope II?
    Have you considered some DT Swiss 240s hubs? That would let you have both 9mm front and 10mm rear bolt thru axles. They're the same sort of price as Chris King hubs.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...olt-135mm.aspx

mtbr member
    Still keeping my options open. This wheelset is a big purchase and I don't want to regret my decision. So I'm continuing to do some more research. I heard good things about the 240's, but they kinda look plain. I like the red and black combo with my stock 420's and was looking at red hubs to go with black Mavics. They do have some red on them, but not the bling of some other hubs.

Members who have read this thread: 1