mtbr member

Replacing Specialized shock with Fox - problem

Got a new Fox RP23 fancy schmancy Kashima and boost valve to replace the non-working Specialized branded shock (prob a Fox) on a '09 Stumpy Expert carbon. Turns out the bosses on both ends are different sizes. The OEM boss is about 1 mm smaller than the Fox boss.

Anyone who has done this swap got suggestions on where to search for the right sized bosses or some other solution to going from a smaller boss to a larger one?

The Fox has inserts (the boss or whatever it's called) that are 12 mm OD
    The Spec inserts are 12.7 mm OD

mtbr member
    I spent about 2 hours on the phone today with Fox and Specialized trying to find the right hardware. It was easier, I told myself, to do that than take a few weeks trying to figure something else out, try it, and find it would not work.

Fox said "call Specialized", Specialized said "call Fox". So I called both several times. Fox is sending some parts gratis. Specialized won't send anything, I have to order it through the LBS (yah, well no surprise there).

In addition, Fox was looking at the specs for shock mounting hardware that Specialized sent them and it was plain wrong about the lower mounting hardware. Go figure.

I'll post back here once the parts arrive. Trying to save others the same frustration. I happen to live near both places and neither one entertains the idea of customers bringing in their stuff to help you figure out what to do about this type of situation.

If this mountain hardware is not a candidate for standardization, what is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It's a Specialized thing, they like to be different. All other bike companies use off the shelf parts.

If you happen to live near both, you're in the Bay Area. There are lots of precision machine shop that can machine something to work. It just takes $$$.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    Hope it works out. On a aside, most non fox shocks used by Specialized are X-Fusion.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Well got the problem sorted with the help of Fox, they sent a mounting kit WHICH PERFECTLY FITS for a conversion to a Fox shock.

TOP MOUNT

Note they send TWO sets of the top hardware, one for a smaller eyelet and one for a larger eyelet (the standard Fox eyelet size) which is 12mm OD which you install through the press-in bushing. I saw non need to replace the bushing which you see here at the bottom.

BOTTOM MOUNT

This kit contained the 22.2 mm sleeve, two side pieces of aluminum which when all assembled onto the shock, look like a shock that has the normally used 2 aluminum reducers mounted in the eyelet. The sleeve however is a solid piece that goes all the way through the eyelet to provide a longer bearing surface for the mounting bolt. The 2 alumimum pieces just sit on the ends of the sleeve after you push it through the bushing.