mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Replacing seatpost to 400mm on SJ 29er carbon 15.5"

Im looking into buying a SJ carbon HT 29er. I currently ride a size 16" 29er (Im 5ft 7) and the bike Im looking at is a small 15.5". The length of the frame is perfect for me but the stock 350mm seatpost is 2cm too short (when reaching the minimun insert), would installing a 400mm seatpost be too long on a carbon frame? Thanks.

mtbr member
    No, it's fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GS833 View Post
    Im looking into buying a SJ carbon HT 29er. I currently ride a size 16" 29er (Im 5ft 7) and the bike Im looking at is a small 15.5". The length of the frame is perfect for me but the stock 350mm seatpost is 2cm too short (when reaching the minimun insert), would installing a 400mm seatpost be too long on a carbon frame? Thanks.
    what's your inseam dimension ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I cant remember from last time I took my measurments, but I believe it was around 30-31. My seatpost to BB length ended up coming at 73cm, but my reach from tip of saddle to handlebar is around 54cm. I have short legs in proportion to my torso. I currently ride a M Giant Anthem 26" and before that I had a more racy 26 carbon hardtail that was 17" and that felt pretty good. Thats why I lean towards small 29er frames.

mtbr member
    You could always buy a 400mm length seatpost and then cut it down. You need to leave enough seatpost in the frame to be safe (at least a few cm below where the toptube and seatstays meet the seat tube) but there's no need to have huge amounts of seatpost inside the frame either.

S-Works Stumpjumper 2010 Thread

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    to my opinion , if you are currently using fine an M Anthem , the 29er S could be too short for you .
    Have a look at my post " What epic size " , I have attached geometry comparisions between epic 26er vs 29er and also epic 26er vs anthem .