mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Replacing MC542 External Bottom Bracket Cup

re: replacing external bottom bracket cups

Does anyone know if the threads on the MC542("custom for Specialized") are identical to the standard Shimano MC760 cups? I need to replace the non-drive side cup on my Enduro bad -- it's totally bound up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    To revise my question -- has anyone replaced a bottom bracket external bearing cup on their Specialized bike? If so, what is your make and model and was the thread standard? I know the XTR/XT/LX/Saint threads are all the same so I would assume they all are, but want to make sure before I order... The "custom" thing has me worried.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPhisher
    To revise my question -- has anyone replaced a bottom bracket external bearing cup on their Specialized bike? If so, what is your make and model and was the thread standard? I know the XTR/XT/LX/Saint threads are all the same so I would assume they all are, but want to make sure before I order... The "custom" thing has me worried.
    It should work with a normal SLX/XT/XTR BB. Its only listed as custom for Specialized because its a different color. Your cranks are sort of a brownish color right? the Standard M-540 cranks are black.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks! Replacement ordered. I think my cranks are a slightly lighter color like you said, not quite a black.

mtbr member
    The whole custom thing is more of a marketing gimmick than anything. I remember when I purchased my 08 enduro sl and it came with "custom" Avid Juicy 5 SL's. They are just regular Juicy 5's. Slap the letters SL on them and they become custom.