Get busy!!

Replacing cassette and chain on Rockhopper Pro

What cassette and chain combo should I get for my Hopper? I have had her since 07, it's been really good to me and have never changed anything. Now it's time for brake pads these things. Help guys. Is there anything I need to stay away from. Any compatibility issues. want to get a set that will work well for some pretty aggressive XC. The stock parts were great so I want something at least that well built although I'm sure without $$ being an option there is crazy equipment choices..

I will be installing these things myself so I will need a cassette tool and chain whip. Looks pretty straight forward.
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset

Get busy!!

official eMpTyBRain
    If you don't want to break the bank, try these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-CS-HG61-...item35b05878a9

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-ULTEGRA-...item5642b62293

All Shimano 9 speed components are compatible...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Get busy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    If you don't want to break the bank, try these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-CS-HG61-...item35b05878a9

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-ULTEGRA-...item5642b62293

All Shimano 9 speed components are compatible...
    Thanks. I will look into these.

Am I safe to buy XT 9 speed stuff? Does it all go together (chain/cassette) without problem?

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKHOPPER703
    Thanks. I will look into these.

Am I safe to buy XT 9 speed stuff? Does it all go together (chain/cassette) without problem?
    XT stuff is an upgrade to what your bike came with originally. All Shimano 9 speed stuff is interchangable/compatible.

I also saw an XT cassette and chain offered for only $79 on Bob's Bicycles ad in Mountain Bike Action. That may be your best value....Their number is 1-800-554-2627

Get busy!!
    You the man! Thanks bud.

Get busy!!
    Oh, I see SLX here. I'm guessing that all works nice with these parts too?

official eMpTyBRain
    Oh, I see SLX here. I'm guessing that all works nice with these parts too?
    Yes, it all works well together.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For a 9-speed setup, as long as the cassette is for 9-speed, it can be either SRAM, Shimano, or some other brand (I'd stick with SRAM and Shimano personally.) Same with the chain, although I prefer SRAM for the ease of installation. If you don't have a chain tool, you need that too. I don't like to spend a lot of money on the chain, especially for a mountain bike, especially if I can spend $17 on it.

You should be keeping an eye on chain stretch and replacing your chain somewhat regularly. I'd say I probably go through about two in a season, although it depends a lot on riding conditions, and how well you maintain your gear. Anyway, it doesn't make sense to me to spend a bunch of money on something that doesn't last much longer if I do, that doesn't really effect my ride, and that I throw out regularly.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Get busy!!
    I called and found parts locally. GOt al the tools this afternoon and will pick up my cassette and chain on the way home. The guy at eh shop claims that going from a 11-34 (stock) cassette to a 11-32 will be unnoticeable. He said it should work fine with any 9 speed setup and I wont miss a thing. He also tells me my shifting in and out of 1 and 2 will be smoother.

Confirm or deny this for me guys. He has a Deore cassette in 11-32 but could get a 34 by friday. SHould I pull the trigger or wait on the stock spec replacement?

Thanks guys.

official eMpTyBRain
    I called and found parts locally. GOt al the tools this afternoon and will pick up my cassette and chain on the way home. The guy at eh shop claims that going from a 11-34 (stock) cassette to a 11-32 will be unnoticeable. He said it should work fine with any 9 speed setup and I wont miss a thing. He also tells me my shifting in and out of 1 and 2 will be smoother.

Confirm or deny this for me guys. He has a Deore cassette in 11-32 but could get a 34 by friday. SHould I pull the trigger or wait on the stock spec replacement?

Thanks guys.
    If you climb alot of steep stuff, you'll notice the smaller 32 ring vs. the 34 ring, climbing (steep) is a tiny bit tougher in a 32 ring vs. a 34 ring

Fat-tired Roadie
    The guesstimate as to differences in things people can perceive is 5%. The 32t ring results in a ratio that's a little more than 5% higher, so you may notice it but it's not as big as most of the shifts on the cassette. I'd say if your lowest gear is useful to you, wait on the 11-34.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    +1 on waiting for an 11-34 if you like your gearing as it stand today.

Not only will your lowest gearing be higher to a point that would be perceptible (to me anyway), but the range between each cog will be less. Either of those could be a positive or a negative change for you dependent on your preference, but they will be changes.